Re: [rest-discuss] Caching question

  • Mark Nottingham
    Message 1 of 10 , May 11, 2003
      Quoting Tyler Close <tyler@...>:

      > In this case, access to a representation of the resource is
      > equivalent to access to the resource. We know this because Seairth
      > is specifically asking about a resource for which caching is
      > important. Given this information, your suggestion to use digest
      > authentication to "maintain the privacy of the authenticator"
      > doesn't make any sense.

      Yeeessss.... and I'm saying that a cached representation of a resource is
      not equivalent to the range of representations that resource is capable of
      emitting. There are scenarios where this is an important distinction.

      > Does it seem odd to anyone that I am needing to argue that it is
      > important to encrypt private data before transmitting it over a
      > public network?

      Who said public network? Once again, there are scenarios where protecting
      the authentication credentials is valuable, but the representations
      themselves aren't as sensitive. I grant that there are likely many, many
      more which do require encryption for appropriate security, but am
      unwilling to say that all scenarios require it.

      Since we seem to be starting to repeat ourselves, I suggest we move on.