Using SOAP in a RESTful way

  • softtouchit
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2003
      Dear All,

      Everyone is taking the document centric approach, even for the SOAP
      guys. This appears to be a good step away from "fine grained" RPC.
      Some new additions to SOAP 1.2 look like RESTful.

      Questions are:

      1. Is the new SOAP (1.2) RESTful enough that one can build a REST Web
      Services?
      2. Has anyone actually implemeted a RESTful Web Services?

      Hao
    • Softtouch IT
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2003
        Sorry, I meant to say "build a RESTful Web Services on
        top of SOAP".

        Hao

        --- softtouchit <softtouchit@...> wrote:
        > Dear All,
        >
        > Everyone is taking the document centric approach,
        > even for the SOAP
        > guys. This appears to be a good step away from "fine
        > grained" RPC.
        > Some new additions to SOAP 1.2 look like RESTful.
        >
        > Questions are:
        >
        > 1. Is the new SOAP (1.2) RESTful enough that one can
        > build a REST Web
        > Services?
        > 2. Has anyone actually implemeted a RESTful Web
        > Services?
        >
        > Hao

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Mark Baker
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2003
          On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 04:33:06AM -0000, softtouchit wrote:
          > Dear All,
          >
          > Everyone is taking the document centric approach, even for the SOAP
          > guys. This appears to be a good step away from "fine grained" RPC.
          > Some new additions to SOAP 1.2 look like RESTful.
          >
          > Questions are:
          >
          > 1. Is the new SOAP (1.2) RESTful enough that one can build a REST Web
          > Services?

          Yes. SOAP 1.1 was too, though.

          > 2. Has anyone actually implemeted a RESTful Web Services?

          KnowNow had some demo apps that I saw that were.
          And see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Jul/0301.html

          There was one other one, but I can't find it. Sad, really.

          MB
          --
          Mark Baker. Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA. http://www.markbaker.ca