New Article re REST & Digital Identities

  • inthedarkplace <inthedarkplace@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2003
      http://artificial-philosopher.blog-city.com/readblog.cfm?BID=17023

      A thorough explanation of why a REST solution is the best solution to
      the identity dilemma.

      I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.

      - itdp
    • Seairth Jacobs
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 30, 2003
        From: <inthedarkplace@...>

        > http://artificial-philosopher.blog-city.com/readblog.cfm?BID=17023
        >
        > A thorough explanation of why a REST solution is the best solution to
        > the identity dilemma.
        >
        > I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.

        Hmm... well, I am curious to see what will be in part 2 of the blog. As for
        this entry, I feel that some of the observations are either over-simplified
        or plain wrong. It's hard to agree with all of the blogger's conclusions
        when it's based on somewhat flimsy arguments.

        However, I do agree with the basic theme of the blog. Using URIs and
        documents to form a digital identity makes more sense than going the MS
        Passport way. At one level this is a description of the Web itself. I have
        a URI (http://www.seairth.com) which identifies documents which start to
        give a rough idea of who I am. This is true also for
        http://www.microsoft.com and http://home.ccil.org/~cowan/.

        Also, for those who are not aware of it, Thawte as the Web of Trust[1],
        which is a a bottom-up certificate authority (CA) system. Using SSL and the
        WOT, a certain portion of this bottom-up REST-oriented digital identity
        problem could be solved. I'm not saying this is the solution to all of the
        problems, just that there *are* others out there already attacking the
        problem in a similar manner.

        [1] http://www.thawte.com/html/COMMUNITY/wot/index.html

        ---
        Seairth Jacobs
        seairth@...
      • Berend de Boer
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 30, 2003
          "inthedarkplace <inthedarkplace@...>" <inthedarkplace@...> writes:

          > http://artificial-philosopher.blog-city.com/readblog.cfm?BID=17023
          >
          > A thorough explanation of why a REST solution is the best solution to
          > the identity dilemma.
          >
          > I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.

          After this quote I stopped reading:

          "You're never be completely certain that the spouse who arrives at
          your home in the evening is the very same person you sent off with a
          kiss in the morning."

          Yeah right,

          Berend. (-: