REST based WS implementations

  • alexi
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2002
      Hi all,

      I have recently discovered REST for myself and I glad
      I did. For quite sometime I thought that WebServices
      should be more URI based, so I was glad to find that
      there is the whole theory behind that :). While I am
      trying to catch up with the REST literature I have a
      question of a more practicle nature. I am wondering
      if there is an outgoing Open Source effort(s) which
      have a goal to build a web services infrustucture
      around REST principles.

      Thanks Alexi.
    • Paul Prescod
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
        alexi wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I have recently discovered REST for myself and I glad
        > I did. For quite sometime I thought that WebServices
        > should be more URI based, so I was glad to find that
        > there is the whole theory behind that :). While I am
        > trying to catch up with the REST literature I have a
        > question of a more practicle nature. I am wondering
        > if there is an outgoing Open Source effort(s) which
        > have a goal to build a web services infrustucture
        > around REST principles.

        REST web services are the natural intersection of HTTP and perhaps its
        successor protocol and various data encoding strategies like RSS, the
        semantic web, SVG and XML in general. Any toolkit that combines the most
        appropriate data encoding for your problem domain with HTTP
        functionality is an open source REST tool. Examples include Zope,
        Quixote, Redfoot, Mason and the various J2EE tools.

        I'm not saying that there is no room for new toolkits but my personal
        opinion is that if you combine a perfect toolkit for your data format
        (e.g. an RSS parser or RDF engine) with the perfect HTTP platform for
        your language, you get a REST toolkit out of the combination "for free."
        And further, it is somewhat dangerous (not entirely wrong, but somewhat
        dangerous) to try to tie the encoding and architecture/protocol more
        closely.

        http://www.prescod.net/rest/encoding

        Perhaps an XML+HTTP+URIs package would be a good idea regardless. But it
        wouldn't be a REST toolkit unless it also supported totally unstructured
        data.

        Paul Prescod
      • Donald Ball
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2002
          On 11/30/2002 at 3:41 PM alexi wrote:

          >Hi all,
          >
          >I have recently discovered REST for myself and I glad
          >I did. For quite sometime I thought that WebServices
          >should be more URI based, so I was glad to find that
          >there is the whole theory behind that :). While I am
          >trying to catch up with the REST literature I have a
          >question of a more practicle nature. I am wondering
          >if there is an outgoing Open Source effort(s) which
          >have a goal to build a web services infrustucture
          >around REST principles.

          Not as such, at least as far as I am aware, but there are webapp
          infrastructures that are better or worse suited for REST development. For
          example, Apache Jakarta Struts, while being a very popular and robust MVC
          infrastructure, is completely ill-suited for REST since the URL and actual
          contents of a resource may have no relation to one another (struts overuses
          the servlet RequestDispatcher API). Apache Cocoon, for another example, is
          reasonably useful for REST - it uses a sitemap to map urls to pipelines of
          processing components. On the other hand, it's aimed more at web sites than
          webapps, thus may not be suitable as a "web services" infrastructure.

          What other webapp infrastructures have people used for REST projects that
          turned out well or poorly?

          - donald
        • Sam Hunting
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2002

            > What other webapp infrastructures have people used for REST projects that
            > turned out well or poorly?

            In particular, Zope?

            Sam Hunting
            eTopicality, Inc.

            "Turn your searching experience into a finding experience."(tm)

            Topic map consulting and training: www.etopicality.com
            Free open source topic map tools: www.gooseworks.org

            XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
            Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.
          • Paul Prescod
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 4, 2002
              Donald Ball wrote:

              > What other webapp infrastructures have people used for REST projects that
              > turned out well or poorly?

              I've used Quixote. It is quite REST-ful. You can have container objects
              that dispatch to other objects etc. I've also used .NET, which has very
              convenient XML parsing code (for XML with a schema).

              Paul Prescod