Re: [rest-discuss] Examples of Async Restful services

  • Nicholas Shanks
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 11, 2013
      How is creating a "send this sms" resource on the server any more stateless than creating a "send this sms then POST to this URI" resource?
      The client still POSTs to a /sms-queue/ collection, though the resource on the server is a few bytes bigger due to an additional callback URI property.

      The point of statelessness it to enable scalability by moving state to the many clients from the few servers. Since there is already one resource per sms-sending-client (at least) there is no loss of scalability. I see nothing that violates REST here.

      — Nicholas.

      On 8 May 2013, at 15:36, Jan Algermissen <jan.algermissen@...> wrote:

      On 08.05.2013, at 13:26, Shaunak Kashyap <ycombinator@...> wrote:

      > I'm not sure if the callback approach is necessarily in conflict with the RESTfulness of the API

      Violates stateless server constraint.