Re: [rest-discuss] conneg considered harmful

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 8, 2013
      Mike Kelly wrote:

      > What do you mean by 'undefined'? Running code has definitive
      > behaviour: http://caniuse.com/

      REST is a defined architectural style. The link you've posted is all
      about where a set of moving-goalpost features overlap at a moment in
      time, which is hardly the same thing. While system behavior may be
      definable, it's a by-product of the design process, as opposed to goals
      used to guide the design process. What I mean by defined architecture
      would be some sort of Taylor-school definition of just what's trying to
      be accomplished, like REST was the model for the move to HTTP 1.1.

      > What is it, specifically, that you feel may be about to render
      > browsers infeasible as the basis for a RESTful system?

      Silent error correction, content sniffing being used as a reason to
      deprecate Content-Type, any number of RFC 3986 violations -- we're
      clearly off into uncharted territory with little or no resemblance to
      REST, and I've just scratched the surface. What else to make of this
      move to just not mention "resource" and redefine URIs to identify
      either documents or services? How is it possible to be more anti-REST?

      > Is there anything missing that would make it feasible and if so why
      > is it missing? e.g. why did the efforts to introduce PUT and DELETE
      > to <form> fail?

      What's missing is browser-vendor knowledge of architecture, or any HTTP/
      URI interoperability issues not involving browsers. I won't speculate
      as to why, it's not as if Roy didn't used to waste his breath explaining
      to these people the finer points of why ad-hoc changes to WebArch are
      short-sighted. Sufficient explanation to me of why no PUT, DELETE,
      Xforms, list goes on -- not to mention feature removal...

      Clearly, the future of REST no longer lies with the browser. My status
      nowadays is "on sabbatical" to recover my health, after recently "re-
      homing" the last of my clients -- that one since 1994 which is how long
      I've been developing Web sites for consumption in browsers. I have a 9-
      week-old Alaskan Malamute to help me drop at least a couple stone before
      I return, may take a few years.

      I'll continue to participate here, but when I return to Web development
      it certainly looks like I'll be forsaking the browser for the native
      app, where I can continue to bring my clients positive returns on their
      online investments by leveraging REST to deal with the realities of the
      netowrk currently being denied by the browser vendors.

      Should be interesting to watch, but the "new direction" has caused me
      to pull my horse from the race; I no longer have any vested interest
      nor do I care about the future of browsers. Only a sense that we'll be
      cleaning up the mess for a long time to come -- corporate production
      cycles, marketing imperatives, and bottom lines are no way to guide
      the Web's architectural development, and this era can't end well.

      -Eric
    • Mike Kelly
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 8, 2013
        On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Eric J. Bowman <eric@...> wrote:
        > Mike Kelly wrote:
        >>
        >> Even if that is a hard slog, it's probably the most likely way of
        >> getting the outcome you want.
        >>

        > Like interoperability with things that aren't browsers, or which follow
        > RFC 3986? Highly doubtful.

        Ok, I disagree. Afaik, there isn't a more feasible course of action,
        and it sounds as if you are not going to invest any time on an
        alternative in the foreseeable future.

        I do share some of your concern though, so it would be intriguing to
        hear some specifics on what those alternatives might (or already do)
        look like... mamund? :)

      • Glenn Block
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 21, 2013
          So no one has any thoughts on content-location with regards to reducing the need for a redirect?

        • Nicholas Shanks
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 24, 2013
            On 22 June 2013 03:16, Glenn Block <glenn.block@...> wrote:

            > So no one has any thoughts on content-location with regards to reducing the need for a redirect?

            I had previously suggested the very same, but apparently doing this
            raises security issues with intermediary caches. e.g. malicious page A
            sends response back claiming to be a representation of page B,
            intermediate layer caches this, and returns that response for future
            requests to B. There needs to be a way to declare that B trusts A to
            provide representations for itself, and for intermediaries to verify
            this before caching the response. Apparently being on the same domain
            is not sufficient for the HTTP folks.

            --
            Nicholas.