Re: [apps-discuss] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-hausenblas-csv-fragment-01

  • Erik Wilde
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2013
      hello dominik.

      thanks for the feedback!

      On 2012-12-30 13:59 , Dominik Tomaszuk wrote:
      > I propose to add "regexp" scheme. For example:
      > http://example.com/data.csv#regexp:place=/^G/
      > Following the listing in ยง 2, the above CSV fragment selects a slice,
      > yielding another CSV table as follows:
      > date,temperature,place
      > 2011-01-01,1,Galway
      > 2011-01-02,-1,Galway
      > 2011-01-03,0,Galway

      adding regex support could be regarded as a logical step up in
      functionality from the current slices which use strict matches only.
      however, the general design question is whether sophisticated
      content-based identification is worth the effort, and what the use cases
      are. generally speaking, fragids shouldn't be seen as some form of
      "search mechanism", this can be left to clients by themselves. they
      should mainly focus on identification, and there identifying by location
      usually works fine. we are considering dropping splices all together,
      because they already cross the line into "search land".

      interestingly, we had the same discussions when we designed fragids for
      plain text files (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5147). we had the same
      proposals to add regexes and maybe even more sophisticated mechanisms
      (string distance measures, for example) for identifiers that are robust
      against some changes. however, in the end these mechanisms did not make
      the 80/20 cut, and instead an integrity check mechanism was added
      (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5147#section-3.1), so that it's at least
      possible to detect changes in the resource representation.

      cheers,

      dret.