Atom + Member URIs

  • Greg Young
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 27, 2012
      We have been having an interesting discussion here regarding the AtomPub protocol.

      Is it ok to change the MemberUri on a put? EG: Return a Location header and then point to a new MemberUri?

      Example:
      You have
      /feed/0

      you put new data

      it returns
      Location: /feed/74

      The feed is updated and no longer does /feed/0 show up in the feed (top entry is now /feed/74).

      There are some advantages (and disadvantages) to this mechanism and I am not sure if its allowed or not.

      The big thing I see as it breaking is people that want to bookmark all of MemberUris. Is this a good idea in the first place? This could be worked around as well by returning a moved with the new link if you use the old Uri. There is already an edit rel link in the feed itself.

      That said most people I see using atom are directly bookmarking their MemberUris and this would probably break them and is as such a meaningless practical discussion. But is it protocol compliant?

      Cheers,

      Greg

      --
      Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.
    • Mark Baker
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2013
        On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 8:27 AM, Greg Young <gregoryyoung1@...> wrote:

        > We have been having an interesting discussion here regarding the AtomPub protocol.
        >
        > Is it ok to change the MemberUri on a put? EG: Return a Location header and then point to a new MemberUri?
        >
        > Example:
        > You have
        > /feed/0
        >
        > you put new data
        >
        > it returns
        > Location: /feed/74

        No, you can't return 2xx because you didn't update the state of the
        resource targeted by the client. You might consider using a redirect.

        Mark.
      • Greg Young
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2013
          So on the post return a redirect to /feed/74