Re: [rest-discuss] initial draft of "URI Template Descriptions"

  • Mike Kelly
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2012

      On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Nicholas Shanks <nickshanks@...> wrote:

      I think URI templating is detrimental to the web and should not receive any standards body endorsement. Can you present a use case which cannot be solved by lists of URIs and forms?

      Be useful if you explained why you think that.

      (you're probably wrong, by the way)

      Cheers,
    • Erik Wilde
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 8, 2012
        hello nicholas.

        On Dec 8, 2012, at 0:53, Nicholas Shanks <nickshanks@...> wrote:
        > I think URI templating is detrimental to the web and should not receive any standards body endorsement. Can you present a use case which cannot be solved by lists of URIs and forms?

        you are aware of RFC 6570, right?

        cheers,

        dret.
      • Cíat Ó Gáibhtheacháin
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 8, 2012
          You realise that URI templates and forms are, more-or-less, the same kind of thing, albeit with the former being more flexible in kinds of URI it can generate than the latter?

          Nicholas Shanks <nickshanks@...> wrote:

          I think URI templating is detrimental to the web and should not receive any standards body endorsement. Can you present a use case which cannot be solved by lists of URIs and forms?

          — Nicholas.

          On 7 Dec 2012, at 20:45, Erik Wilde <dret@...> wrote:

          hello all.

          i just sumbitted an initial draft of "URI Template Descriptions" as
          draft-wilde-template-desc-00. however, it seems that there currently is
          a bit of delay before submissions become actually visible, so in the
          meantime i'd like to announce the draft on this list, and start
          gathering feedback. i'll send a brief note once the draft is available
          through the official IETF channels.

          all of this is still work in progress, but i thought it would be great
          to get community feedback early on. at
          https://github.com/dret/I-D/tree/master/template-desc you can find the
          document sources, as well as a schema (yes, it's XSD) td-00.xsd and a
          simple sample description document td-paging-00.xml. since this is meant
          to be for describing and documentation, td-00.xslt is a simple XSLT that
          can be used to generate a simple HTML version of the description.
          td-paging-00.xml links to this stylesheet, and XSLT-capable browsers
          will render the HTML client-side. but you can also simply look at
          td-paging-00.html for the static HTML version.

          for now, i'd be interested in feedback about the idea as a whole, as
          well as about features/capabilities you'd like to see added, if you are
          considering this to be something that could be useful for you.
          implementation-wise, i'd like to add URI Template support to the code
          (but then it needs to be XSLT 2.0 and stops working client-side), so
          that it would be possible to parse the URI Template, and match variables
          in it against variables in the description.

          thanks and cheers,

          dret.

        • Erik Wilde
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 8, 2012
            > You realise that URI templates and forms are, more-or-less, the same
            > kind of thing, albeit with the former being more flexible in kinds of
            > URI it can generate than the latter?

            nicholas did not really say what he means by "forms". but typically,
            forms are a combination of (1) a template (which may be runtime or baked
            into the media type as in HTML), (2) a set of values (described to some
            extent) that can be populated when submitting the form, and (3) maybe
            some UI info for rendering it (in UI-oriented form languages).

            you could look at "URI Template Descriptions" as starting with RFC 6570
            as the standard for templates (1), adding some description structure for
            the variables (2), and leaving any UI stuff (3) as something that could
            be packaged in the extension model, if required.

            cheers,

            dret.
          • Doug Davis
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 8, 2012