Re: [rest-discuss] URI design, part 2

    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 4, 2012
      On Dec 4, 2012, at 11:40 PM, Max Toro <maxtoroq@...> wrote:

      > Thank you very much for your responses Eric.
      >
      > The short answer is (if I understood correctly): POST /cancel is not
      > REST because it lacks visibility, since it's not possible to
      > understand the client's intent by examining the request.

      jan

      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 5, 2012
        Max Toro wrote:

        > The short answer is (if I understood correctly): POST /cancel is not
        > REST because it lacks visibility, since it's not possible to
        > understand the client's intent by examining the request.

        I'd phrase it differently: "POST /cancel violates self-descriptiveness
        as user intent cannot be discerned by examining the request." This
        would hold true even if GET /cancel had a 200 OK response. Even that's
        oversimplifying in that part of the reason POST is wrong here, is
        because DELETE is right. But, no, I do not believe setting up an URL to
        listen for POST and taking action not based on anything in the POST
        request, is ever an example of the REST style, regardless of the nature
        of the resource.

        My real short answer is, "POST /cancel doesn't use REST's uniform
        interface."

        Neither is it an example of the REST style for POST to have a definition
        which varies by resource, iow sometimes it works without an entity
        (method-tunnel listener), sometimes it doesn't (create resource); even
        if hypertext-driven, such nonstandard method usage inevitably results
        in coupling between client and server, instead of relying on shared
        understanding of standardized method semantics. Fixing the POST to have
        an entity that's ignored might make it valid HTTP and solve this, but it
        still wouldn't be an example of the REST style, where the requested
        state change is transferred in the entity (with a few exceptions) -- not
        defined per resource by the method being tunneled through / triggered by
        POST.

        Conceptually, it still violates the identification of resources
        constraint, which is why it isn't visible regardless of how we implement
        it in terms of hypertext or method selection. Using the uniform
        interface means refactoring internal methods like 'cancel' to fit the
        resource/representation model of REST such that the request methods and
        response codes used map generically to those of your chosen protocol.
        Assigning them URIs to toggle with semantically-void messages is simply
        some other style not encompassed by REST's uniform interface constraint,
        not something that's superficially fixable by improving visibility or
        adding a 200 OK response.

        > Never thought about HTTP/URI resource vs. REST resource, you say that
        > a URI that doesn't implement GET is probably (or always) not REST.

        More like, "REST resources are concepts, not actions." Just using URIs
        doesn't bestow compliance with the identification of resources
        constraint upon a system, it's more nuanced than that. I can't imagine
        why a bona-fide REST resource would ever deliberately fail to have a
        retrieval mapping, no.

        I think the more important takeaway is method selection. We have DELETE
        in order to avoid such convoluted POST-based cancel mechanisms. It
        isn't RESTful to use POST when another method's semantics happen to
        closely describe user intent. From Roy's blog:

        "POST only becomes an issue when it is used in a situation for which
        some other method is ideally suited: e.g., retrieval of information
        that should be a representation of some resource (GET), complete
        replacement of a representation (PUT), or any of the other standardized
        methods that tell intermediaries something more valuable than 'this may
        change something.' The other methods are more valuable to
        intermediaries because they say something about how failures can be
        automatically handled and how intermediate caches can optimize their
        behavior. POST does not have those characteristics, but that doesn't
        mean we can live without it. POST serves many useful purposes in HTTP,
        including the general purpose of 'this action isn't worth
        standardizing.'"

        http://roy.gbiv.com/untangled/2009/it-is-okay-to-use-post

        Since DELETE is inherently self-descriptive of user intent to cancel an
        order, and is already "listened for" rather than requiring an entity be
        transferred, and has inherent idempotency matching the inherently
        idempotent user intent captured by a cancel request, DELETE must be the
        proper method for implementation using HTTP.

        Now, maybe your media type doesn't support DELETE, in which case
        contriving a /cancel URI may very well be called for until such time
        as it does. I won't fault anyone for doing this out of pragmatism, so
        long as they understand it as a mismatch, inconsistent with the
        architectural style they're following.

        REST is a tool which allows you, over time, to make improvements to the
        architecture you have in accordance with an idealized model. To me,
        accepting mismatches for what they are, is far more useful than coming
        up with convoluted explanations for why they aren't, for the sake of
        buzzword compliance. Change is easier when it's based on having been
        right all along, rather than based on having to admit error. ;-)