Re: [rest-discuss] RESTful order-status API (was: URI design, part 2)

    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 1, 2012
      Greg Young wrote:

      > /CRMapp?order=1&query=status
      >
      > until intermediaries decide to ignore you because the ?
      >
      > :(
      >
      > They shouldn't but they do :)

      They're configurable, and while this may have been a problem in the
      past, I don't believe it to be anything but an edge case, now. URIs
      are opaque and should be considered in their entirety as cache keys.
      The best a developer can do, is design to REST -- my example certainly
      doesn't violate any constraints -- and let the deployed architecture
      catch up.

      There's much FUD out there about query strings, particularly in REST
      discussions, which amounts to unfounded myth. I see no reason to avoid
      query strings because they *might* be ignored by a small percentage of
      caches, economy of scale still kicks in vs. no-cache. So go ahead and
      treat URIs as opaque when doing REST development, the downside is
      more than compensated for by the upside, more so as time goes by.

      -Eric
    • Erik Mogensen
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 1, 2012
        This post is mostly aimed at Max Toro, but Eric provided a nice entry point for me :-)

        On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Eric J. Bowman <eric@...> wrote:

        Max Toro wrote:

        > What I'd love to get is an answer like: POST /orders/1/cancel is not
        > REST compliant because chapter x of Fielding's dissertation explicitly
        > or implicitly says it's not allowed or it's discouraged.

        Well, what are you expecting to GET from /cancel, or are you just using
        that URL to invoke a procedure? [...]
         Suggested reading: 6.5.2; 6.2.1, in particular:
        "REST [defines] a resource to be the semantics of what the author
        intends to identify."

        Exactly.  And we don't know what the author intends to identify just by looking at the path /orders/1/cancel.

        Just looking at the syntax of a single request (e.g. the method POST and/or the path /orders/1/cancel) is not enough to determine if the system adheres to any particular architectural style.

        But this is still not enough to determine if a system adheres to the constraints: For even though the server provides such hypermedia controls, media types and does everything "by the book", it is still up to the *client* to actually *use* these hypermedia controls.  In fact it is up to the author of the agent itself.

        If you write code in the client that hard wires a button called "cancel" to the "POST /orders/1/cancel" HTTP request then the client isn't really honouring the hypermedia controls laid out above.  If, however, it _soft wires_ the same button _because_ of the hypermedia control above, then you're doing it "more right" I would say.  The point is that the client should be written in such a way that it uses _only_ the hypermedia controls that it receives at run-time.

        Roy's thesis really must be considered in its entirety, [...]

        +1 to such a degree that 1 > 1.  The rest of the stuff you wrote was great.  I just want to highlight the incorrectness of the question, as others said earlier that REST doesn't say anything about if POST /foo is or isn't...  For all we know /orders/1/cancel is a picture of a dog, or it could be a SOAP endpoint for a nice game of Global Thermonuclear War.

        The constraints of REST are too often thought / taught to deal with the server side, but in my experience, it has much more to do with the client side, how much knowledge the client has on things like:

        - what URLs can it use? (it shouldn't know any; but bind to one at run-time, preferably via a configuration parameter)
        - when it knows one URL (e.g. "/orders/1"), can it add "/cancel" to it to cancel it?  (no, unless it was told to add "/cancel" by a hypermedia control)
        - does it know the "type" of a resource, e.g. that /orders/1 is an Order (this is a point of contention on the list; browsers don't know about books or a bank account, but work fine nonetheless.)
        - when it does know the type of the URL is an order, does it pull up a pre-coded "order" UI (bad), or does it create a UI based on what it finds in the response (good)

        --
        -mogsie-
      • Max Toro
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 1, 2012
          > Well, what are you expecting to GET from /cancel, or are you just using
          > that URL to invoke a procedure? If so, then there are a few places Roy's
          > thesis admonishes against it in Chapter 6 -- the rest of REST is about
          > positive, rather than negative, reinforcement of the identification of
          > resources constraint. Suggested reading: 6.5.2; 6.2.1, in particular:
          > "REST [defines] a resource to be the semantics of what the author
          > intends to identify."

          To clarify, /orders/1/cancel is used to modify a resource, using POST.
          A GET request would result in a Method Not Allowed response.

          This is also explained on Subbu's book, chapter 2.6 "When and How to
          Use Controllers to Operate on Resources":

          "Problem: You want to know how to tackle write operations that involve
          modifying more than one resource atomically, or whose mapping to PUT
          or DELETE is not obvious. Solution: Designate a controller resource
          for each distinct operation. Let clients use the HTTP method POST to
          submit a request to trigger the operation... If the outcome is the
          modification of one or more existing resources, return response code
          303 (See Other) with a Location with a URI that clients can use to
          fetch a representation of those modifications."

          > Not the semantics of a method invocation. What does /cancel identify?
          > Sounds to me like a method of tunneling DELETE through POST which
          > identifies nothing, iow a procedure endpoint, which is characteristic
          > of various styles but not of the REST style. The hypertext constraint
          > only makes sense if your resources make sense, in that their URLs are
          > identifiers rather than endpoints.

          If I understand correctly, you are saying that if I need to affect a
          resource then I should use the uniform interface on that resource URI,
          and not another URI.

          > Which brings us to Chapter 5, and the short answer to your question:
          > "POSTing to /cancel violates the Identification of Resources constraint,
          > and is therefore unRESTful." But I've found that just giving that
          > answer tends to upset folks who've only read Chapter 5, then they get
          > defensive about why can't they call their API RESTful, accusations of
          > pedantry follow, and threads devolve into general ugliness, heheh...

          After reading that chapter again I'm not sure my example violates
          anything, but I'd love to get more clarification from you. Is it the
          use of a verb in the URI? or not using the URI of the resource I'm
          trying to modify directly?
          --
          Max Toro

        • Max Toro
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 1, 2012
            Thanks for you answer Erik. I don't want to repeat myself, so please
            see my answer to Eric, I'd love to get your comments as well. Rather
            than good or bad I'd like to determine if my example is REST or not.
            --
            Max Toro

          • Erik Wilde
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 1, 2012
              hello max.

              On 2012-12-01 08:17 , Max Toro wrote:
              > Thanks for you answer Erik. I don't want to repeat myself, so please
              > see my answer to Eric, I'd love to get your comments as well. Rather
              > than good or bad I'd like to determine if my example is REST or not.

              i guess most people agree that the only reasonable answer to a question
              such as "is URI X RESTful" is: "tell me more about your design."

              i'd like to get one tiny bit of clarification from you: when saying you
              have a resource X/operation, did you choose "cancel" on purpose as
              something that could be mapped to a DELETE X fairly easily, or do you
              also consider something such as X/additem, where the hypothetical
              operation would not delete the resource, but change its status outside
              of the CRUD realm?

              thanks,

              dret.
            • Max Toro
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 1, 2012
                Did not choose DELETE because cancel does not delete the resource, it
                executes some logic which in the end sets it's status field to
                Canceled.
                The implementation of PATCH with a body 'status=Canceled' can be
                tricky if you also accept changes to other fields, which may or may
                not have some logic associated to them. I think that using a
                subresource as Nicholas Shanks suggested is a good solution, e.g.

                PUT /orders/1/status

                Canceled

                The implementation can do something like this:

                switch (value) {
                case "Canceled":
                cancelOrder(id);
                }
                --
                Max Toro

                On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Erik Wilde <dret@...> wrote:
                > hello max.
                >

                > On 2012-12-01 08:17 , Max Toro wrote:
                >>
                >> Thanks for you answer Erik. I don't want to repeat myself, so please
                >> see my answer to Eric, I'd love to get your comments as well. Rather
                >> than good or bad I'd like to determine if my example is REST or not.
                >

                > i guess most people agree that the only reasonable answer to a question such
                > as "is URI X RESTful" is: "tell me more about your design."
                >
                > i'd like to get one tiny bit of clarification from you: when saying you have
                > a resource X/operation, did you choose "cancel" on purpose as something that
                > could be mapped to a DELETE X fairly easily, or do you also consider
                > something such as X/additem, where the hypothetical operation would not
                > delete the resource, but change its status outside of the CRUD realm?
                >
                > thanks,
                >
                > dret.
              • Mike Schinkel
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 1, 2012
                  On Dec 1, 2012, at 9:21 PM, Max Toro <maxtoroq@...> wrote:
                  > PUT /orders/1/status
                  > Canceled

                  +1

                  As an aside you'll find maintenance and validation easier if your status values are all lowercase (all upper would be okay too, but uglier.)

                  Has nothing to do with REST, it's just easier to deal with when you don't have to worry what is the proper casing of status values. FWIW.

                  -Mike
                • Matt McClure
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 2, 2012
                    On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Erik Mogensen <erik@...> wrote:
                    But this is still not enough to determine if a system adheres to the constraints: For even though the server provides such hypermedia controls, media types and does everything "by the book", it is still up to the *client* to actually *use* these hypermedia controls.  In fact it is up to the author of the agent itself.

                    If you write code in the client that hard wires a button called "cancel" to the "POST /orders/1/cancel" HTTP request then the client isn't really honouring the hypermedia controls laid out above.  If, however, it _soft wires_ the same button _because_ of the hypermedia control above, then you're doing it "more right" I would say.  The point is that the client should be written in such a way that it uses _only_ the hypermedia controls that it receives at run-time.

                    This seems like a really important point. As I started reading about hypermedia APIs, the authors seemed to be evangelizing the benefit that server programmers could change URIs as requirements evolved. But it seems you can only realize that benefit easily if you can guarantee that all your clients use the hypermedia controls, or that you force the issue by breaking clients that aren't honoring that agreement. Hypermedia APIs seem to raise the expectations on client programmers more than for server programmers.

                    As a server programmer, I'm interested to find great examples of hypermedia APIs (and ecosystems, documentation, etc.) that help their client programmers do the right thing.

                    Even then, if you can't prevent client developers from "deep linking" into your API, how do you handle breaking changes for those clients?
                  • Erik Wilde
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 2, 2012
                      hello matt.

                      On 2012-12-02 08:44 , Matt McClure wrote:
                      > Even then, if you can't prevent client developers from "deep linking"
                      > into your API, how do you handle breaking changes for those clients?

                      this is a very good question. one important aspect is that it's always
                      bad if clients are tested against just one implementation. server
                      programmers often put quite a bit of effort into designing pretty URIs,
                      which is good. but this also lures client programmers into relying on
                      those patterns, and as long as you just test against one implementation,
                      things often work fine.

                      however, often there only is one implementation to test against, so what
                      then? something i've been thinking about (and nothing more, and also i
                      haven't seen any frameworks supporting this) would be that server
                      frameworks could have a "test" switch, that would start serving "ugly"
                      and pretty much random URIs, instead of the pretty designed ones. a test
                      installation could then be easily provided to client programmers, and
                      their code would break very quickly in all places where they took
                      shortcuts, instead of following links.

                      i haven't seen support for this so far, but it seems to me that in many
                      REST-oriented server-side frameworks, this might not be all that hard to
                      add. if somebody has seen such a thing in practice, please let me know!

                      cheers,

                      dret.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 3, 2012
                        Max Toro wrote:

                        > Did not choose DELETE because cancel does not delete the resource, it
                        > executes some logic which in the end sets it's status field to
                        > Canceled.

                        DELETE /orders/1 doesn't have to delete the resource, it can move it to,
                        say, /canceled/1. In which case you're only changing one property of
                        the order "object" on your server -- its mapping. REST isn't CRUD. In
                        a hypertext API, it's often best to have different URI paths for the
                        same set of server objects, if their policies vary based on a property
                        like status...

                        Web servers configure policies based on path, so add another URI mapping
                        instead of making server logic more complex by trying to apply different
                        policies based on parsing content for 'canceled=true'. Try to think in
                        terms of hypertext applications instead of serializing objects to
                        hypertext -- status isn't a field in a hypertext document in REST when
                        its semantics overlap that of HTTP status responses, especially if
                        status varies by user role:

                        The customer checking /orders/1 knows they've successfully canceled it,
                        because their DELETE request responded 200 OK with the order and new
                        status in the message body, and that URL now responds to GET with 410
                        Gone. The 410 response may include the order as its entity, or not,
                        for the customer role.

                        Other user roles, i.e. admin, may get redirected to /canceled/1, where
                        they are subject to different policies than exist for an active order.
                        Admins may DELETE from /canceled to actually delete a canceled order,
                        while customers are 403 Forbidden from entering /canceled to begin with.
                        Also, just because you're using the DELETE method, doesn't mean the UI
                        has to say "delete" on the cancel control.

                        > The implementation of PATCH with a body 'status=Canceled' can be
                        > tricky if you also accept changes to other fields, which may or may
                        > not have some logic associated to them.

                        What matters is user intent. Clear intention to cancel an order should
                        unambiguously be its own operation from the UI-design perspective; from
                        the protocol perspective, this idempotent user action should be made
                        explicitly visible on the wire by selecting the most appropriate HTTP
                        method.

                        Of all manipulations we may allow for an order, this is the only one
                        that's self-explanatory without transferring a representation, another
                        indication that DELETE has the semantics we're after, provided we don't
                        get hung up on having to delete something -- which we don't!

                        If, to the requesting user, canceling an order makes it go away, then
                        using DELETE meets the self-descriptive messaging and uniform interface
                        constraints of REST. What happens to the order is an implementation
                        detail, hidden behind the uniform interface. To the world-at-large,
                        the traffic pattern of an order cancellation looks like exactly what it
                        is, as the principle of generality has been followed.

                        The visibility of DELETE allows intermediaries to mark cached copies
                        of /orders/1 as stale. This optimization is built-in to the deployed
                        infrastructure of the Web, all it does here is ensure the requesting
                        user doesn't re-load a stale copy of /orders/1 which fails to reflect
                        the results of the action just taken. This can't be done with PATCH,
                        even if you can get close by marking the request as idempotent.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 3, 2012
                          Max Toro wrote:

                          > > Well, what are you expecting to GET from /cancel, or are you just
                          > > using that URL to invoke a procedure? If so, then there are a few
                          > > places Roy's thesis admonishes against it in Chapter 6 -- the rest
                          > > of REST is about positive, rather than negative, reinforcement of
                          > > the identification of resources constraint. Suggested reading:
                          > > 6.5.2; 6.2.1, in particular: "REST [defines] a resource to be the
                          > > semantics of what the author intends to identify."
                          >
                          > To clarify, /orders/1/cancel is used to modify a resource, using POST.
                          > A GET request would result in a Method Not Allowed response.

                          Yes, such examples are out there, but in them, /cancel is NOT a resource
                          in the REST sense so they must be some style of RPC... REST, not so
                          much. Representational State Transfer means just that -- resources are
                          manipulated by transferring representations of their current, intended,
                          desired etc. state. Chapter 5.4:

                          "Requests and responses have the appearance of a remote invocation
                          style, but REST messages are targeted at a conceptual resource rather
                          than an implementation identifier."

                          This example is a REST anti-pattern, as I cannot deduce the current
                          (sub)state of the order (active or canceled) by dereferencing the URL
                          I'm given for manipulating that (sub)state. Just making a toggle POST
                          also fails to transfer any representation of anything, let alone
                          application state, and isn't proper HTTP (which can never be proper
                          REST).

                          REST isn't about optimizing upstream traffic, it's about optimizing GET.
                          What advantage does a subresource give when it contains no content from
                          the parent resource? My goal with subresources is to increase the cache
                          stickiness of their parent resources. Replace the subresource content
                          in the parent resource, with a link or a hypertext control linked to the
                          subresource. The link or hypertext control remains static, and cached,
                          as the content of the subresource varies.

                          That's a RESTful pattern, as the subresource now has a representation
                          (other than that of the 406 error) we can transfer and manipulate to
                          effect change of the parent resource.

                          > > Not the semantics of a method invocation. What does /cancel
                          > > identify? Sounds to me like a method of tunneling DELETE through
                          > > POST which identifies nothing, iow a procedure endpoint, which is
                          > > characteristic of various styles but not of the REST style. The
                          > > hypertext constraint only makes sense if your resources make sense,
                          > > in that their URLs are identifiers rather than endpoints.
                          >
                          > If I understand correctly, you are saying that if I need to affect a
                          > resource then I should use the uniform interface on that resource URI,
                          > and not another URI.

                          Absolutely not! My example changed /order/1 by manipulating /order/1
                          /status. The /order/1 resource includes its status, but its 200 OK
                          representations only include links to the /status subresource, derived
                          from the /order/1 resource such that manipulating a representation
                          of /order/1/status updates /order/1 (on the server, you can do anything
                          you want; on the client, the cached link/control in /order/1 now returns
                          a different value).

                          There's no cost to adding a URI like this, nor does it preclude changing
                          order status via PUT/PATCH to /order/1. The difference is that /status
                          uses REST's uniform interface, unlike /cancel. The /order/1/status URL
                          is only presented within a hypertext control which explains how to
                          manipulate it -- picture a drop-down list with the current status
                          highlighted, meeting the hypertext constraint. You can always GET the
                          status of an order even if you don't have a copy of that order, a
                          useful separation of concerns beyond just optimizing GET, promoting
                          serendipitous re-use.

                          > > Which brings us to Chapter 5, and the short answer to your question:
                          > > "POSTing to /cancel violates the Identification of Resources
                          > > constraint, and is therefore unRESTful." But I've found that just
                          > > giving that answer tends to upset folks who've only read Chapter 5,
                          > > then they get defensive about why can't they call their API
                          > > RESTful, accusations of pedantry follow, and threads devolve into
                          > > general ugliness, heheh...
                          >
                          > After reading that chapter again I'm not sure my example violates
                          > anything, but I'd love to get more clarification from you. Is it the
                          > use of a verb in the URI? or not using the URI of the resource I'm
                          > trying to modify directly?

                          The biggest problem, is that an RPC endpoint which has no GET function
                          while improperly listening for a method itself as a trigger rather than
                          taking action based on the content of the entity required by that method
                          and in obeyance of the semantics of that method, is so far away from
                          REST that I don't know where to start except by urging that Roy's
                          thesis be read in its entirety. Because it's obvious to me that this
                          violates the first three uniform interface constraints, making adherence
                          to the fourth irrelevant:

                          "REST is defined by four interface constraints: identification of
                          resources; manipulation of resources through representations; self-
                          descriptive messages; and, hypermedia as the engine of application
                          state."

                          Note that "noun/verb" terminology is not present in the dissertation.
                          But, yeah, if your URI is a "verb" you're probably getting REST wrong.
                          There is no "cancel" method in the uniform interface. There are two
                          basic means of solving this -- one, is refactor your cancel operation
                          to use DELETE; two, tunnel your proprietary cancel method through POST.

                          Making this operation its own URI doesn't make it more RESTful, as the
                          resulting URI is only a resource in the HTTP/URI sense, but not the
                          REST sense, of the term. Utilizing subresources to break out more
                          dynamic aspects of content and cache them separately is RESTful; if the
                          contents of the GET are also allowable content of a PUT then we're
                          letting hypertext drive application state instead of listening for POST
                          events to trigger server-object methods we've failed to refactor to the
                          uniform REST interface.

                          -Eric
                        • Max Toro
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 4, 2012
                            Thank you very much for your responses Eric.

                            The short answer is (if I understood correctly): POST /cancel is not
                            REST because it lacks visibility, since it's not possible to
                            understand the client's intent by examining the request.

                            Never thought about HTTP/URI resource vs. REST resource, you say that
                            a URI that doesn't implement GET is probably (or always) not REST.
                            --
                            Max Toro

                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 4, 2012
                              On Dec 4, 2012, at 11:40 PM, Max Toro <maxtoroq@...> wrote:

                              > Thank you very much for your responses Eric.
                              >
                              > The short answer is (if I understood correctly): POST /cancel is not
                              > REST because it lacks visibility, since it's not possible to
                              > understand the client's intent by examining the request.

                              jan

                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 5, 2012
                                Max Toro wrote:

                                > The short answer is (if I understood correctly): POST /cancel is not
                                > REST because it lacks visibility, since it's not possible to
                                > understand the client's intent by examining the request.

                                I'd phrase it differently: "POST /cancel violates self-descriptiveness
                                as user intent cannot be discerned by examining the request." This
                                would hold true even if GET /cancel had a 200 OK response. Even that's
                                oversimplifying in that part of the reason POST is wrong here, is
                                because DELETE is right. But, no, I do not believe setting up an URL to
                                listen for POST and taking action not based on anything in the POST
                                request, is ever an example of the REST style, regardless of the nature
                                of the resource.

                                My real short answer is, "POST /cancel doesn't use REST's uniform
                                interface."

                                Neither is it an example of the REST style for POST to have a definition
                                which varies by resource, iow sometimes it works without an entity
                                (method-tunnel listener), sometimes it doesn't (create resource); even
                                if hypertext-driven, such nonstandard method usage inevitably results
                                in coupling between client and server, instead of relying on shared
                                understanding of standardized method semantics. Fixing the POST to have
                                an entity that's ignored might make it valid HTTP and solve this, but it
                                still wouldn't be an example of the REST style, where the requested
                                state change is transferred in the entity (with a few exceptions) -- not
                                defined per resource by the method being tunneled through / triggered by
                                POST.

                                Conceptually, it still violates the identification of resources
                                constraint, which is why it isn't visible regardless of how we implement
                                it in terms of hypertext or method selection. Using the uniform
                                interface means refactoring internal methods like 'cancel' to fit the
                                resource/representation model of REST such that the request methods and
                                response codes used map generically to those of your chosen protocol.
                                Assigning them URIs to toggle with semantically-void messages is simply
                                some other style not encompassed by REST's uniform interface constraint,
                                not something that's superficially fixable by improving visibility or
                                adding a 200 OK response.

                                > Never thought about HTTP/URI resource vs. REST resource, you say that
                                > a URI that doesn't implement GET is probably (or always) not REST.

                                More like, "REST resources are concepts, not actions." Just using URIs
                                doesn't bestow compliance with the identification of resources
                                constraint upon a system, it's more nuanced than that. I can't imagine
                                why a bona-fide REST resource would ever deliberately fail to have a
                                retrieval mapping, no.

                                I think the more important takeaway is method selection. We have DELETE
                                in order to avoid such convoluted POST-based cancel mechanisms. It
                                isn't RESTful to use POST when another method's semantics happen to
                                closely describe user intent. From Roy's blog:

                                "POST only becomes an issue when it is used in a situation for which
                                some other method is ideally suited: e.g., retrieval of information
                                that should be a representation of some resource (GET), complete
                                replacement of a representation (PUT), or any of the other standardized
                                methods that tell intermediaries something more valuable than 'this may
                                change something.' The other methods are more valuable to
                                intermediaries because they say something about how failures can be
                                automatically handled and how intermediate caches can optimize their
                                behavior. POST does not have those characteristics, but that doesn't
                                mean we can live without it. POST serves many useful purposes in HTTP,
                                including the general purpose of 'this action isn't worth
                                standardizing.'"

                                http://roy.gbiv.com/untangled/2009/it-is-okay-to-use-post

                                Since DELETE is inherently self-descriptive of user intent to cancel an
                                order, and is already "listened for" rather than requiring an entity be
                                transferred, and has inherent idempotency matching the inherently
                                idempotent user intent captured by a cancel request, DELETE must be the
                                proper method for implementation using HTTP.

                                Now, maybe your media type doesn't support DELETE, in which case
                                contriving a /cancel URI may very well be called for until such time
                                as it does. I won't fault anyone for doing this out of pragmatism, so
                                long as they understand it as a mismatch, inconsistent with the
                                architectural style they're following.

                                REST is a tool which allows you, over time, to make improvements to the
                                architecture you have in accordance with an idealized model. To me,
                                accepting mismatches for what they are, is far more useful than coming
                                up with convoluted explanations for why they aren't, for the sake of
                                buzzword compliance. Change is easier when it's based on having been
                                right all along, rather than based on having to admit error. ;-)