Re: [rest-discuss] RESTful order-status API (was: URI design, part 2)

    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 30, 2012
      Technically, of course, I mean "high probability of being a single
      packet" when arbitrarily small messages (including headers) have their
      payload compressed. This also depends on protocol -- HTTP 2 will allow
      larger payloads to be compressed to one packet by slimming down header
      size compared to HTTP 1.1, for example.

      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 30, 2012
        Max Toro wrote:

        > What I'd love to get is an answer like: POST /orders/1/cancel is not
        > REST compliant because chapter x of Fielding's dissertation explicitly
        > or implicitly says it's not allowed or it's discouraged. After knowing
        > what is or isn't REST then I'd love to learn more about the pros and
        > cons of different architectural and implementation styles.

        Well, what are you expecting to GET from /cancel, or are you just using
        that URL to invoke a procedure? If so, then there are a few places Roy's
        thesis admonishes against it in Chapter 6 -- the rest of REST is about
        positive, rather than negative, reinforcement of the identification of
        resources constraint. Suggested reading: 6.5.2; 6.2.1, in particular:
        "REST [defines] a resource to be the semantics of what the author
        intends to identify."

        Not the semantics of a method invocation. What does /cancel identify?
        Sounds to me like a method of tunneling DELETE through POST which
        identifies nothing, iow a procedure endpoint, which is characteristic
        of various styles but not of the REST style. The hypertext constraint
        only makes sense if your resources make sense, in that their URLs are
        identifiers rather than endpoints.

        Roy's thesis really must be considered in its entirety, to understand
        the uniform interface constraint (of which identification of resources
        is a sub-constraint). Chapter 1 introduces the notion of applying
        design-by-constraint to networked software architecture, as inspired
        by Eames IIRC. "A style is a named set of constraints on architectural
        elements that induces the set of properties desired of the
        architecture." (4.3)

        Chapter 2 defines terminology associated with networked software
        architecture, which is required for understanding Chapter 3, which lays
        out a methodology for evaluating various styles and applies this to
        several examples. Most importantly, Chapter 3 identifies the
        constraints associated with various styles, and describes the properties
        they induce in a system (which may or may not be beneficial or
        detrimental to the system you're designing; remember there is no best
        architecture, only that which is best for your system). Which is of
        course required for understanding Chapter 4.

        Chapter 4 considers the problems raised by the WWW, and suggests that
        the architecture may be improved by applying design-by-constraint to it,
        in order to address those problems. First, by identifying the desirable
        properties of the early Web, and the constraints responsible for them;
        next, by extending that architecture by adding additional constraints,
        resulting in a new hybrid style consisting of aspects of existing
        styles. Of course, this is required for understanding Chapter 5.

        "REST provides a set of architectural constraints that, WHEN APPLIED
        AS A WHOLE, emphasizes scalability of component interactions, generality
        of interfaces, independent deployment of components, and intermediary
        components to reduce interaction latency, enforce security, and
        encapsulate legacy systems." (4.4)

        Which brings us to Chapter 5, and the short answer to your question:
        "POSTing to /cancel violates the Identification of Resources constraint,
        and is therefore unRESTful." But I've found that just giving that
        answer tends to upset folks who've only read Chapter 5, then they get
        defensive about why can't they call their API RESTful, accusations of
        pedantry follow, and threads devolve into general ugliness, heheh...

        My point is, you'll have a much harder time trying to understand REST
        by being told bluntly what is and isn't RESTful, than you will by
        reading Roy's thesis in its entirety. As computer science dissertations
        go, Roy produced a functional work of art, much as an Eames chair isn't
        just a piece of furniture. Understanding what the constraints are, and
        where they come from, is vital to understanding how they're applied to
        the Web to derive REST, and why they must be implemented as a whole to
        achieve REST.

        Only then will it become apparent when they're being violated, as in
        the example given of POSTing to an unGETtable /cancel URL. That level
        of understanding comes from the bottom up, not from the top down, IMO.
        Knowing what is or isn't REST depends on understanding the pros and
        cons of various architectural styles, because that's what constraints
        are, and constraints must be understood before their application to the
        Web as REST can be understood.

        More importantly, understanding REST as a style makes one a better
        architect, because sometimes it's advantageous to deviate from REST's
        constraints. Which is why I'm always on about how saying something
        isn't REST is not a value judgment, just a fact. Understanding Roy's
        thesis allows you to identify the constraints you have applied, and
        understand that as its own architectural style derived from REST, to
        use as a guide to developing that system -- but also to understand
        which desirable properties of REST you're forfeiting in the bargain.

        Making informed decisions about which constraints to apply, is making
        use of REST as a tool for long-term development. It may not be
        feasible to apply all the constraints initially, if REST is truly what
        your system needs. In which case your system design can account for
        this, becoming more RESTful over time, instead of painting yourself
        into a corner where the system needs re-architecting rather than
        implementing another constraint as an extension.

        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 1, 2012
          "Eric J. Bowman" wrote:

          > Making informed decisions about which constraints to apply, is making
          > use of REST as a tool for long-term development. It may not be
          > feasible to apply all the constraints initially, if REST is truly what
          > your system needs. In which case your system design can account for
          > this, becoming more RESTful over time, instead of painting yourself
          > into a corner where the system needs re-architecting rather than
          > implementing another constraint as an extension.

          This is why Roy's thesis is an invaluable tool, at least for me anyway
          as I've been at this since '93 and had a front-row seat at the
          transition from the old Web to HTTP 1.1 -- Roy's experience applying
          his concepts to a system I was familiar with is included in his thesis,
          which helped me to incrementally apply REST to my own work as I gained
          understanding of it. Now, I can confidently design systems today which
          may be easily extended to be fully RESTful tomorrow.

          So I really don't stress about the unRESTful aspects of my systems,
          they're "by design" and will continue to work themselves out over time.
          Which is exactly what you want from an architectural style, particularly
          for the Web. Successful websites tend to grow users over time, and it
          ain't easy to chuck one system for another. What's needed is a system
          which uses progressively less resources per user, as usage increases.

          (Just check out the shoddy uptime records of certain big boys on the
          block to see how badly this desirable property is needed, and note that
          they don't begin to implement REST.)

          Using REST as a tool enables the development of such systems by allowing
          the architect to chart a steady course, deciding which constraints (like
          identification of resources) are crucial to get right from the get-go,
          and which may be put off until they satisfy a cost-benefit analysis.

          For example, most popular CMS software defaults to no-cache. But this
          doesn't really matter until you're starting to bump into the transfer
          limits of your hosting plan, at which time you can implement caching,
          after having some time to test the setup first. You can then fine-tune
          your cache settings over time, and later integrate with a CDN. This is
          usually done ad-hoc, what I'm saying is that knowledge of REST can make
          this go smoothly rather than being a comedy of errors (quite common).

          If your system doesn't grow to need it, then you can probably do without
          all the added development expense (plus complexity driving up long-term
          maintenance costs) of implementing non-native caching on that CMS. REST
          is your friend when it comes to planning for and managing these expenses
          and complexities vis-a-vis your cashflow. Budgeting for ho-hum websites
          is easy; successful websites are another story entirely, where knowledge
          of REST as a tool can be your competitive edge in funding growth from
          cashflow instead of debt or outside capital while turning a profit --
          instead of piling up red ink on wasteful infrastructure.

          Yeah, I know. That just isn't how things are done on the Web! :-D

          -Eric
        • Greg Young
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 1, 2012
             /CRMapp?order=1&query=status

            until intermediaries decide to ignore you because the ?

            :(

            They shouldn't but they do :)

            On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Eric J. Bowman <eric@...> wrote:
            /CRMapp?order=1&query=status

            --
            Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 1, 2012
              Greg Young wrote:

              > /CRMapp?order=1&query=status
              >
              > until intermediaries decide to ignore you because the ?
              >
              > :(
              >
              > They shouldn't but they do :)

              They're configurable, and while this may have been a problem in the
              past, I don't believe it to be anything but an edge case, now. URIs
              are opaque and should be considered in their entirety as cache keys.
              The best a developer can do, is design to REST -- my example certainly
              doesn't violate any constraints -- and let the deployed architecture
              catch up.

              There's much FUD out there about query strings, particularly in REST
              discussions, which amounts to unfounded myth. I see no reason to avoid
              query strings because they *might* be ignored by a small percentage of
              caches, economy of scale still kicks in vs. no-cache. So go ahead and
              treat URIs as opaque when doing REST development, the downside is
              more than compensated for by the upside, more so as time goes by.

              -Eric
            • Erik Mogensen
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 1, 2012
                This post is mostly aimed at Max Toro, but Eric provided a nice entry point for me :-)

                On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Eric J. Bowman <eric@...> wrote:

                Max Toro wrote:

                > What I'd love to get is an answer like: POST /orders/1/cancel is not
                > REST compliant because chapter x of Fielding's dissertation explicitly
                > or implicitly says it's not allowed or it's discouraged.

                Well, what are you expecting to GET from /cancel, or are you just using
                that URL to invoke a procedure? [...]
                 Suggested reading: 6.5.2; 6.2.1, in particular:
                "REST [defines] a resource to be the semantics of what the author
                intends to identify."

                Exactly.  And we don't know what the author intends to identify just by looking at the path /orders/1/cancel.

                Just looking at the syntax of a single request (e.g. the method POST and/or the path /orders/1/cancel) is not enough to determine if the system adheres to any particular architectural style.

                But this is still not enough to determine if a system adheres to the constraints: For even though the server provides such hypermedia controls, media types and does everything "by the book", it is still up to the *client* to actually *use* these hypermedia controls.  In fact it is up to the author of the agent itself.

                If you write code in the client that hard wires a button called "cancel" to the "POST /orders/1/cancel" HTTP request then the client isn't really honouring the hypermedia controls laid out above.  If, however, it _soft wires_ the same button _because_ of the hypermedia control above, then you're doing it "more right" I would say.  The point is that the client should be written in such a way that it uses _only_ the hypermedia controls that it receives at run-time.

                Roy's thesis really must be considered in its entirety, [...]

                +1 to such a degree that 1 > 1.  The rest of the stuff you wrote was great.  I just want to highlight the incorrectness of the question, as others said earlier that REST doesn't say anything about if POST /foo is or isn't...  For all we know /orders/1/cancel is a picture of a dog, or it could be a SOAP endpoint for a nice game of Global Thermonuclear War.

                The constraints of REST are too often thought / taught to deal with the server side, but in my experience, it has much more to do with the client side, how much knowledge the client has on things like:

                - what URLs can it use? (it shouldn't know any; but bind to one at run-time, preferably via a configuration parameter)
                - when it knows one URL (e.g. "/orders/1"), can it add "/cancel" to it to cancel it?  (no, unless it was told to add "/cancel" by a hypermedia control)
                - does it know the "type" of a resource, e.g. that /orders/1 is an Order (this is a point of contention on the list; browsers don't know about books or a bank account, but work fine nonetheless.)
                - when it does know the type of the URL is an order, does it pull up a pre-coded "order" UI (bad), or does it create a UI based on what it finds in the response (good)

                --
                -mogsie-
              • Max Toro
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 1, 2012
                  > Well, what are you expecting to GET from /cancel, or are you just using
                  > that URL to invoke a procedure? If so, then there are a few places Roy's
                  > thesis admonishes against it in Chapter 6 -- the rest of REST is about
                  > positive, rather than negative, reinforcement of the identification of
                  > resources constraint. Suggested reading: 6.5.2; 6.2.1, in particular:
                  > "REST [defines] a resource to be the semantics of what the author
                  > intends to identify."

                  To clarify, /orders/1/cancel is used to modify a resource, using POST.
                  A GET request would result in a Method Not Allowed response.

                  This is also explained on Subbu's book, chapter 2.6 "When and How to
                  Use Controllers to Operate on Resources":

                  "Problem: You want to know how to tackle write operations that involve
                  modifying more than one resource atomically, or whose mapping to PUT
                  or DELETE is not obvious. Solution: Designate a controller resource
                  for each distinct operation. Let clients use the HTTP method POST to
                  submit a request to trigger the operation... If the outcome is the
                  modification of one or more existing resources, return response code
                  303 (See Other) with a Location with a URI that clients can use to
                  fetch a representation of those modifications."

                  > Not the semantics of a method invocation. What does /cancel identify?
                  > Sounds to me like a method of tunneling DELETE through POST which
                  > identifies nothing, iow a procedure endpoint, which is characteristic
                  > of various styles but not of the REST style. The hypertext constraint
                  > only makes sense if your resources make sense, in that their URLs are
                  > identifiers rather than endpoints.

                  If I understand correctly, you are saying that if I need to affect a
                  resource then I should use the uniform interface on that resource URI,
                  and not another URI.

                  > Which brings us to Chapter 5, and the short answer to your question:
                  > "POSTing to /cancel violates the Identification of Resources constraint,
                  > and is therefore unRESTful." But I've found that just giving that
                  > answer tends to upset folks who've only read Chapter 5, then they get
                  > defensive about why can't they call their API RESTful, accusations of
                  > pedantry follow, and threads devolve into general ugliness, heheh...

                  After reading that chapter again I'm not sure my example violates
                  anything, but I'd love to get more clarification from you. Is it the
                  use of a verb in the URI? or not using the URI of the resource I'm
                  trying to modify directly?
                  --
                  Max Toro

                • Max Toro
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 1, 2012
                    Thanks for you answer Erik. I don't want to repeat myself, so please
                    see my answer to Eric, I'd love to get your comments as well. Rather
                    than good or bad I'd like to determine if my example is REST or not.
                    --
                    Max Toro

                  • Erik Wilde
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 1, 2012
                      hello max.

                      On 2012-12-01 08:17 , Max Toro wrote:
                      > Thanks for you answer Erik. I don't want to repeat myself, so please
                      > see my answer to Eric, I'd love to get your comments as well. Rather
                      > than good or bad I'd like to determine if my example is REST or not.

                      i guess most people agree that the only reasonable answer to a question
                      such as "is URI X RESTful" is: "tell me more about your design."

                      i'd like to get one tiny bit of clarification from you: when saying you
                      have a resource X/operation, did you choose "cancel" on purpose as
                      something that could be mapped to a DELETE X fairly easily, or do you
                      also consider something such as X/additem, where the hypothetical
                      operation would not delete the resource, but change its status outside
                      of the CRUD realm?

                      thanks,

                      dret.
                    • Max Toro
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 1, 2012
                        Did not choose DELETE because cancel does not delete the resource, it
                        executes some logic which in the end sets it's status field to
                        Canceled.
                        The implementation of PATCH with a body 'status=Canceled' can be
                        tricky if you also accept changes to other fields, which may or may
                        not have some logic associated to them. I think that using a
                        subresource as Nicholas Shanks suggested is a good solution, e.g.

                        PUT /orders/1/status

                        Canceled

                        The implementation can do something like this:

                        switch (value) {
                        case "Canceled":
                        cancelOrder(id);
                        }
                        --
                        Max Toro

                        On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Erik Wilde <dret@...> wrote:
                        > hello max.
                        >

                        > On 2012-12-01 08:17 , Max Toro wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Thanks for you answer Erik. I don't want to repeat myself, so please
                        >> see my answer to Eric, I'd love to get your comments as well. Rather
                        >> than good or bad I'd like to determine if my example is REST or not.
                        >

                        > i guess most people agree that the only reasonable answer to a question such
                        > as "is URI X RESTful" is: "tell me more about your design."
                        >
                        > i'd like to get one tiny bit of clarification from you: when saying you have
                        > a resource X/operation, did you choose "cancel" on purpose as something that
                        > could be mapped to a DELETE X fairly easily, or do you also consider
                        > something such as X/additem, where the hypothetical operation would not
                        > delete the resource, but change its status outside of the CRUD realm?
                        >
                        > thanks,
                        >
                        > dret.
                      • Mike Schinkel
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 1, 2012
                          On Dec 1, 2012, at 9:21 PM, Max Toro <maxtoroq@...> wrote:
                          > PUT /orders/1/status
                          > Canceled

                          +1

                          As an aside you'll find maintenance and validation easier if your status values are all lowercase (all upper would be okay too, but uglier.)

                          Has nothing to do with REST, it's just easier to deal with when you don't have to worry what is the proper casing of status values. FWIW.

                          -Mike
                        • Matt McClure
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 2, 2012
                            On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Erik Mogensen <erik@...> wrote:
                            But this is still not enough to determine if a system adheres to the constraints: For even though the server provides such hypermedia controls, media types and does everything "by the book", it is still up to the *client* to actually *use* these hypermedia controls.  In fact it is up to the author of the agent itself.

                            If you write code in the client that hard wires a button called "cancel" to the "POST /orders/1/cancel" HTTP request then the client isn't really honouring the hypermedia controls laid out above.  If, however, it _soft wires_ the same button _because_ of the hypermedia control above, then you're doing it "more right" I would say.  The point is that the client should be written in such a way that it uses _only_ the hypermedia controls that it receives at run-time.

                            This seems like a really important point. As I started reading about hypermedia APIs, the authors seemed to be evangelizing the benefit that server programmers could change URIs as requirements evolved. But it seems you can only realize that benefit easily if you can guarantee that all your clients use the hypermedia controls, or that you force the issue by breaking clients that aren't honoring that agreement. Hypermedia APIs seem to raise the expectations on client programmers more than for server programmers.

                            As a server programmer, I'm interested to find great examples of hypermedia APIs (and ecosystems, documentation, etc.) that help their client programmers do the right thing.

                            Even then, if you can't prevent client developers from "deep linking" into your API, how do you handle breaking changes for those clients?
                          • Erik Wilde
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 2, 2012
                              hello matt.

                              On 2012-12-02 08:44 , Matt McClure wrote:
                              > Even then, if you can't prevent client developers from "deep linking"
                              > into your API, how do you handle breaking changes for those clients?

                              this is a very good question. one important aspect is that it's always
                              bad if clients are tested against just one implementation. server
                              programmers often put quite a bit of effort into designing pretty URIs,
                              which is good. but this also lures client programmers into relying on
                              those patterns, and as long as you just test against one implementation,
                              things often work fine.

                              however, often there only is one implementation to test against, so what
                              then? something i've been thinking about (and nothing more, and also i
                              haven't seen any frameworks supporting this) would be that server
                              frameworks could have a "test" switch, that would start serving "ugly"
                              and pretty much random URIs, instead of the pretty designed ones. a test
                              installation could then be easily provided to client programmers, and
                              their code would break very quickly in all places where they took
                              shortcuts, instead of following links.

                              i haven't seen support for this so far, but it seems to me that in many
                              REST-oriented server-side frameworks, this might not be all that hard to
                              add. if somebody has seen such a thing in practice, please let me know!

                              cheers,

                              dret.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 3, 2012
                                Max Toro wrote:

                                > Did not choose DELETE because cancel does not delete the resource, it
                                > executes some logic which in the end sets it's status field to
                                > Canceled.

                                DELETE /orders/1 doesn't have to delete the resource, it can move it to,
                                say, /canceled/1. In which case you're only changing one property of
                                the order "object" on your server -- its mapping. REST isn't CRUD. In
                                a hypertext API, it's often best to have different URI paths for the
                                same set of server objects, if their policies vary based on a property
                                like status...

                                Web servers configure policies based on path, so add another URI mapping
                                instead of making server logic more complex by trying to apply different
                                policies based on parsing content for 'canceled=true'. Try to think in
                                terms of hypertext applications instead of serializing objects to
                                hypertext -- status isn't a field in a hypertext document in REST when
                                its semantics overlap that of HTTP status responses, especially if
                                status varies by user role:

                                The customer checking /orders/1 knows they've successfully canceled it,
                                because their DELETE request responded 200 OK with the order and new
                                status in the message body, and that URL now responds to GET with 410
                                Gone. The 410 response may include the order as its entity, or not,
                                for the customer role.

                                Other user roles, i.e. admin, may get redirected to /canceled/1, where
                                they are subject to different policies than exist for an active order.
                                Admins may DELETE from /canceled to actually delete a canceled order,
                                while customers are 403 Forbidden from entering /canceled to begin with.
                                Also, just because you're using the DELETE method, doesn't mean the UI
                                has to say "delete" on the cancel control.

                                > The implementation of PATCH with a body 'status=Canceled' can be
                                > tricky if you also accept changes to other fields, which may or may
                                > not have some logic associated to them.

                                What matters is user intent. Clear intention to cancel an order should
                                unambiguously be its own operation from the UI-design perspective; from
                                the protocol perspective, this idempotent user action should be made
                                explicitly visible on the wire by selecting the most appropriate HTTP
                                method.

                                Of all manipulations we may allow for an order, this is the only one
                                that's self-explanatory without transferring a representation, another
                                indication that DELETE has the semantics we're after, provided we don't
                                get hung up on having to delete something -- which we don't!

                                If, to the requesting user, canceling an order makes it go away, then
                                using DELETE meets the self-descriptive messaging and uniform interface
                                constraints of REST. What happens to the order is an implementation
                                detail, hidden behind the uniform interface. To the world-at-large,
                                the traffic pattern of an order cancellation looks like exactly what it
                                is, as the principle of generality has been followed.

                                The visibility of DELETE allows intermediaries to mark cached copies
                                of /orders/1 as stale. This optimization is built-in to the deployed
                                infrastructure of the Web, all it does here is ensure the requesting
                                user doesn't re-load a stale copy of /orders/1 which fails to reflect
                                the results of the action just taken. This can't be done with PATCH,
                                even if you can get close by marking the request as idempotent.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 3, 2012
                                  Max Toro wrote:

                                  > > Well, what are you expecting to GET from /cancel, or are you just
                                  > > using that URL to invoke a procedure? If so, then there are a few
                                  > > places Roy's thesis admonishes against it in Chapter 6 -- the rest
                                  > > of REST is about positive, rather than negative, reinforcement of
                                  > > the identification of resources constraint. Suggested reading:
                                  > > 6.5.2; 6.2.1, in particular: "REST [defines] a resource to be the
                                  > > semantics of what the author intends to identify."
                                  >
                                  > To clarify, /orders/1/cancel is used to modify a resource, using POST.
                                  > A GET request would result in a Method Not Allowed response.

                                  Yes, such examples are out there, but in them, /cancel is NOT a resource
                                  in the REST sense so they must be some style of RPC... REST, not so
                                  much. Representational State Transfer means just that -- resources are
                                  manipulated by transferring representations of their current, intended,
                                  desired etc. state. Chapter 5.4:

                                  "Requests and responses have the appearance of a remote invocation
                                  style, but REST messages are targeted at a conceptual resource rather
                                  than an implementation identifier."

                                  This example is a REST anti-pattern, as I cannot deduce the current
                                  (sub)state of the order (active or canceled) by dereferencing the URL
                                  I'm given for manipulating that (sub)state. Just making a toggle POST
                                  also fails to transfer any representation of anything, let alone
                                  application state, and isn't proper HTTP (which can never be proper
                                  REST).

                                  REST isn't about optimizing upstream traffic, it's about optimizing GET.
                                  What advantage does a subresource give when it contains no content from
                                  the parent resource? My goal with subresources is to increase the cache
                                  stickiness of their parent resources. Replace the subresource content
                                  in the parent resource, with a link or a hypertext control linked to the
                                  subresource. The link or hypertext control remains static, and cached,
                                  as the content of the subresource varies.

                                  That's a RESTful pattern, as the subresource now has a representation
                                  (other than that of the 406 error) we can transfer and manipulate to
                                  effect change of the parent resource.

                                  > > Not the semantics of a method invocation. What does /cancel
                                  > > identify? Sounds to me like a method of tunneling DELETE through
                                  > > POST which identifies nothing, iow a procedure endpoint, which is
                                  > > characteristic of various styles but not of the REST style. The
                                  > > hypertext constraint only makes sense if your resources make sense,
                                  > > in that their URLs are identifiers rather than endpoints.
                                  >
                                  > If I understand correctly, you are saying that if I need to affect a
                                  > resource then I should use the uniform interface on that resource URI,
                                  > and not another URI.

                                  Absolutely not! My example changed /order/1 by manipulating /order/1
                                  /status. The /order/1 resource includes its status, but its 200 OK
                                  representations only include links to the /status subresource, derived
                                  from the /order/1 resource such that manipulating a representation
                                  of /order/1/status updates /order/1 (on the server, you can do anything
                                  you want; on the client, the cached link/control in /order/1 now returns
                                  a different value).

                                  There's no cost to adding a URI like this, nor does it preclude changing
                                  order status via PUT/PATCH to /order/1. The difference is that /status
                                  uses REST's uniform interface, unlike /cancel. The /order/1/status URL
                                  is only presented within a hypertext control which explains how to
                                  manipulate it -- picture a drop-down list with the current status
                                  highlighted, meeting the hypertext constraint. You can always GET the
                                  status of an order even if you don't have a copy of that order, a
                                  useful separation of concerns beyond just optimizing GET, promoting
                                  serendipitous re-use.

                                  > > Which brings us to Chapter 5, and the short answer to your question:
                                  > > "POSTing to /cancel violates the Identification of Resources
                                  > > constraint, and is therefore unRESTful." But I've found that just
                                  > > giving that answer tends to upset folks who've only read Chapter 5,
                                  > > then they get defensive about why can't they call their API
                                  > > RESTful, accusations of pedantry follow, and threads devolve into
                                  > > general ugliness, heheh...
                                  >
                                  > After reading that chapter again I'm not sure my example violates
                                  > anything, but I'd love to get more clarification from you. Is it the
                                  > use of a verb in the URI? or not using the URI of the resource I'm
                                  > trying to modify directly?

                                  The biggest problem, is that an RPC endpoint which has no GET function
                                  while improperly listening for a method itself as a trigger rather than
                                  taking action based on the content of the entity required by that method
                                  and in obeyance of the semantics of that method, is so far away from
                                  REST that I don't know where to start except by urging that Roy's
                                  thesis be read in its entirety. Because it's obvious to me that this
                                  violates the first three uniform interface constraints, making adherence
                                  to the fourth irrelevant:

                                  "REST is defined by four interface constraints: identification of
                                  resources; manipulation of resources through representations; self-
                                  descriptive messages; and, hypermedia as the engine of application
                                  state."

                                  Note that "noun/verb" terminology is not present in the dissertation.
                                  But, yeah, if your URI is a "verb" you're probably getting REST wrong.
                                  There is no "cancel" method in the uniform interface. There are two
                                  basic means of solving this -- one, is refactor your cancel operation
                                  to use DELETE; two, tunnel your proprietary cancel method through POST.

                                  Making this operation its own URI doesn't make it more RESTful, as the
                                  resulting URI is only a resource in the HTTP/URI sense, but not the
                                  REST sense, of the term. Utilizing subresources to break out more
                                  dynamic aspects of content and cache them separately is RESTful; if the
                                  contents of the GET are also allowable content of a PUT then we're
                                  letting hypertext drive application state instead of listening for POST
                                  events to trigger server-object methods we've failed to refactor to the
                                  uniform REST interface.

                                  -Eric
                                • Max Toro
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 4, 2012
                                    Thank you very much for your responses Eric.

                                    The short answer is (if I understood correctly): POST /cancel is not
                                    REST because it lacks visibility, since it's not possible to
                                    understand the client's intent by examining the request.

                                    Never thought about HTTP/URI resource vs. REST resource, you say that
                                    a URI that doesn't implement GET is probably (or always) not REST.
                                    --
                                    Max Toro

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 4, 2012
                                      On Dec 4, 2012, at 11:40 PM, Max Toro <maxtoroq@...> wrote:

                                      > Thank you very much for your responses Eric.
                                      >
                                      > The short answer is (if I understood correctly): POST /cancel is not
                                      > REST because it lacks visibility, since it's not possible to
                                      > understand the client's intent by examining the request.

                                      jan

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 5, 2012
                                        Max Toro wrote:

                                        > The short answer is (if I understood correctly): POST /cancel is not
                                        > REST because it lacks visibility, since it's not possible to
                                        > understand the client's intent by examining the request.

                                        I'd phrase it differently: "POST /cancel violates self-descriptiveness
                                        as user intent cannot be discerned by examining the request." This
                                        would hold true even if GET /cancel had a 200 OK response. Even that's
                                        oversimplifying in that part of the reason POST is wrong here, is
                                        because DELETE is right. But, no, I do not believe setting up an URL to
                                        listen for POST and taking action not based on anything in the POST
                                        request, is ever an example of the REST style, regardless of the nature
                                        of the resource.

                                        My real short answer is, "POST /cancel doesn't use REST's uniform
                                        interface."

                                        Neither is it an example of the REST style for POST to have a definition
                                        which varies by resource, iow sometimes it works without an entity
                                        (method-tunnel listener), sometimes it doesn't (create resource); even
                                        if hypertext-driven, such nonstandard method usage inevitably results
                                        in coupling between client and server, instead of relying on shared
                                        understanding of standardized method semantics. Fixing the POST to have
                                        an entity that's ignored might make it valid HTTP and solve this, but it
                                        still wouldn't be an example of the REST style, where the requested
                                        state change is transferred in the entity (with a few exceptions) -- not
                                        defined per resource by the method being tunneled through / triggered by
                                        POST.

                                        Conceptually, it still violates the identification of resources
                                        constraint, which is why it isn't visible regardless of how we implement
                                        it in terms of hypertext or method selection. Using the uniform
                                        interface means refactoring internal methods like 'cancel' to fit the
                                        resource/representation model of REST such that the request methods and
                                        response codes used map generically to those of your chosen protocol.
                                        Assigning them URIs to toggle with semantically-void messages is simply
                                        some other style not encompassed by REST's uniform interface constraint,
                                        not something that's superficially fixable by improving visibility or
                                        adding a 200 OK response.

                                        > Never thought about HTTP/URI resource vs. REST resource, you say that
                                        > a URI that doesn't implement GET is probably (or always) not REST.

                                        More like, "REST resources are concepts, not actions." Just using URIs
                                        doesn't bestow compliance with the identification of resources
                                        constraint upon a system, it's more nuanced than that. I can't imagine
                                        why a bona-fide REST resource would ever deliberately fail to have a
                                        retrieval mapping, no.

                                        I think the more important takeaway is method selection. We have DELETE
                                        in order to avoid such convoluted POST-based cancel mechanisms. It
                                        isn't RESTful to use POST when another method's semantics happen to
                                        closely describe user intent. From Roy's blog:

                                        "POST only becomes an issue when it is used in a situation for which
                                        some other method is ideally suited: e.g., retrieval of information
                                        that should be a representation of some resource (GET), complete
                                        replacement of a representation (PUT), or any of the other standardized
                                        methods that tell intermediaries something more valuable than 'this may
                                        change something.' The other methods are more valuable to
                                        intermediaries because they say something about how failures can be
                                        automatically handled and how intermediate caches can optimize their
                                        behavior. POST does not have those characteristics, but that doesn't
                                        mean we can live without it. POST serves many useful purposes in HTTP,
                                        including the general purpose of 'this action isn't worth
                                        standardizing.'"

                                        http://roy.gbiv.com/untangled/2009/it-is-okay-to-use-post

                                        Since DELETE is inherently self-descriptive of user intent to cancel an
                                        order, and is already "listened for" rather than requiring an entity be
                                        transferred, and has inherent idempotency matching the inherently
                                        idempotent user intent captured by a cancel request, DELETE must be the
                                        proper method for implementation using HTTP.

                                        Now, maybe your media type doesn't support DELETE, in which case
                                        contriving a /cancel URI may very well be called for until such time
                                        as it does. I won't fault anyone for doing this out of pragmatism, so
                                        long as they understand it as a mismatch, inconsistent with the
                                        architectural style they're following.

                                        REST is a tool which allows you, over time, to make improvements to the
                                        architecture you have in accordance with an idealized model. To me,
                                        accepting mismatches for what they are, is far more useful than coming
                                        up with convoluted explanations for why they aren't, for the sake of
                                        buzzword compliance. Change is easier when it's based on having been
                                        right all along, rather than based on having to admit error. ;-)