Looking for advice with resources and link relations

  • Simon Guindon
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2012
      Hey all,

      I'm looking for some ideas on how to model the resources and link relations for a Dynamic Distributed Service Locator where services register in a directory with information like:

      - Service Name
      - Service Version (multiple versions of the service can exist in the directory)
      - Data Center Location
      - Service Endpoint address
      - Service Quality (multiple instances of the service may exist, some on better hardware than others)

      A service will register itself with the directory but also query it for dependencies. ServiceA may require to locate ServiceB using version 2.0 but here's where I start to get confused how I might model this, it may also decide it prefers data center locality as a primary preference and service quality as a secondary preference.

      Administration UI's may also do broader queries to show a dashboard.

      My first thoughts was something like this when ServiceA queries for ServiceB.

      /services/ServiceB/2.0?prefer=datacenter,quality

      This would list all versions of ServiceB.
      /services/ServiceB

      Would a good idea then be to have something like this for querying what services exist in a data center?
      /DataCenterA

      And maybe to get a specific version of an instance from a data center.
      /DataCenterA/ServiceB/2.0

      With the results returning multiple listings, I would use links so that the client can choose the right one to use, and if its unavailable it could fallback using another link.

      Any feedback is appreciated.