Re: [api-craft] Re: My hypermedia talk at Oredev

  • mike amundsen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2012
      Jumping in here...

      the biggest challenge (some would say drawback) to using my Collection+JSON media type is that it was specifically designed to "break the back" of object-style serializers in code libraries<g>.

      I find that facing the notion of switching communications between machines from object-oriented to state-oriented can be enlightening, even if it turns out that's not what you decide to do for your project.

      I think HAL does a very good job of providing hypermedia affordances while still supporting object-style message passing.  Be sure to check that one out, too. It's also possible Siren would be a good fit, but I've not built much w/ that one yet.

      Cheers.

      mca

      On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Roberto Modica <rob@...> wrote:
      Hi Glenn,

      Great talk, its nice to have a higher level representation of this stuff, with all the specs, dissertations etc. it sometimes gets a bit heave, this video has given me some inspiration of the node based Hypermedia API we are building at the start-up i am involved in.

      Also nice to see some great stuff coming out of Microsoft, Web API looks great.

      Collection+Json is the main Media type in the talk, and i have read about that in Mikes book , and even began to implement it(we created the formatter to deal with the general output) but it started to get a little verbose for us, especially when working with javascript and you losing the .notation to interact with the data for each object and having everything output as essentially a name value pair...

      Rob

      On Monday, November 12, 2012 10:10:06 AM UTC+1, Glenn Block wrote:
      Hi folks

      I recently delivered a talk on building hypermedia systems with ASP.NET Web API. It is online here: http://vimeo.com/53261707. The talk is in two main parts with the first focusing on the what and why of Hypermedia and the second on approaches.

      Feedback welcome.

      Glenn