Re: [rest-discuss] ATOM representation of search result facets

  • Erik Wilde
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 14, 2012
      > I don't know. If you override the meaning of an attribute in atom,
      > can it still be safely processed as atom? I know, you're going to
      > say, depends on which attribute. I'm not as strict in what I do
      > as in what I tell others to do ;-). Just trying to think it through!

      well-designed media types do not allow you to do this. you can extend
      such a media type, but if your extension is a "mustUnderstand", then
      you're messing with the foundation. then again, there are media types
      that have "mustUnderstand" semantics built into the foundation, so that
      an extension can signal what you can and cannot safely assume when
      you're not supporting the extension. atom has no such mechanism, and
      defining an extension that alter the semantics of atom markup would be
      bad design.

      cheers,

      dret.

    • Erik Wilde