Logic behind Amazon Web Services APIs?

  • Dimitar
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2012
      Hi! I've been following this list for quite some time, this is my first post.

      I was looking at the AWS documentation and noticed that they have HTTP APIs (sometimes refering to them as REST APIs and all that).

      Now, the weird part is that it's not even method tunneling through POST payload and/or URI queries, but

      a) They're using GET for everything [http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AmazonSimpleDB/latest/DeveloperGuide/APIUsage.html%5d

      AND
      b) Method tunneling through a custom HTTP header [http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/amazondynamodb/latest/developerguide/MakingHTTPRequests.html%5d
      e.g:

      POST / HTTP/1.1
      host: dynamodb.us-east-1.amazonaws.com
      x-amz-date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 17:49:52 GMT
      x-amz-target: DynamoDB_20111205.CreateTable

      Is there a reason for this design?
      What are the benefits?

      Maybe AWS are routing requests according to header value before the whole message is received so that you don't have to parse the message to get the operation method (as when using XML-RPC). Is that even a 'thing'?

      But why use HTTP if you're gonna misuse it?

      What do you think?
      You know, am I missing something?

      Thanks!

      Dimitar A.
    • Berend de Boer
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 19, 2012

        Dimitar> But why use HTTP if you're gonna misuse it?

        Dimitar> What do you think? You know, am I missing something?

        Nope, it's Amazon who has no clue what REST is.

        The API was probably written by some Java programmer.

        --
        All the best,

        Berend de Boer

        Awesome Drupal hosting: https://www.xplainhosting.com/