Re: [rest-discuss] diff + HTTP PATCH == wrong?

  • Peter Williams
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 26, 2012
      On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve@...> wrote:
      > > PUT has replacement semantics, not fullness semantics.
      >
      > From httpbis:
      >
      >> A successful PUT of a given
      >> representation would suggest that a subsequent GET on that same
      >> target resource will result in an equivalent representation being
      >> returned in a 200 (OK) response.

      Since we are certainly talking about application/domain semantic --
      not syntactic -- equivalence, i assert that only the origin server
      and/or the media type can define equivalence of representations.
      Therefore, *anything* the server wants to do is a-ok as long as it is
      a) not actively disallowed by the media type and b) is idempotent from
      the application perspective.

      Peter
      barelyenough.org