Re: [rest-discuss]

  • Greg Young
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 28, 2012
      Would allowing posting of a collection be completely awful of us? You could still do one by one if you wanted but if you gave us 10 we would succeed or fail as a batch...

      On Wednesday, June 27, 2012, Tim Bray wrote:

      This was requested in the original spec, but the WG could never figure out how to get the error handling right.

      On Jun 27, 2012 2:18 AM, "Greg Young" <gregoryyoung1@...> wrote:
      Been implementing some stuff over atom. One thing I found interesting
      and maybe someone could point me in the spec where this is covered (I
      didn't see it). Is I want to post 10 new items to the collection as a
      group. Assuming it doesn't exist, what would be the best way of
      implementing that?

      We can obviously handle this in a custom restful api but would prefer
      to support atom for easier client consumption.

      Greg

      --
      Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         rest-discuss-digest@yahoogroups.com
         rest-discuss-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.
    • Sebastien Lambla
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 4, 2012
        If you post a feed to a collection, there's not much reason not to accept that and return a custom list of created uris for each of the entry, as a batch.

        It's not atompub, but from an http interface perspective, it doesn't interact with the existing mechanisms and put the "batching" concept at the correct level (the media type).

        You could always do PATCH but thats semantics i'm not too keen on personally.

        Seb

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2012
          Sebastien,

          Why are you not keen on PATCH semantics?  I thought that the method was part of HTTP, and was meant for requests which
          partially update the resource?

          Roy has a thing on his blog that says it's ok to use POST.  Is that related to your consideration of PATCH?

          Sorry, I'm green.  And it's not easy!

          Peter