enterprise migration from WS-* to REST - report/study/survey...?

  • Sean Kennedy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2012
      Hi all,
           I have a presentation coming up and want to make the case for the shift in the enterprise from WS-* to REST. Points on my slide are:
      • Google SOAP Search API deprecated in 2006
      • Amazon SOAP API deprecated in 2011
      • www.programmableweb.com (last 60 days: 115 SOAP APIs registered versus 290 REST API's)
      • InformationWeek survey (2009) where SOA implementation trend was towards REST from SOAP (http://www.informationweek.com/news/214501922)
      Are there other references (bear in mind that I am in an academic arena and need quality references). Is there a more recent report/survey than the 2009 one above?

      Many thanks,
      Sean.
    • David Karr
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 23, 2012
        On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Sean Kennedy <seandkennedy@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >      I have a presentation coming up and want to make the case for the shift in the enterprise from WS-* to REST. Points on my slide are:
        >
        > Google SOAP Search API deprecated in 2006
        > Amazon SOAP API deprecated in 2011
        > www.programmableweb.com (last 60 days: 115 SOAP APIs registered versus 290 REST API's)
        > InformationWeek survey (2009) where SOA implementation trend was towards REST from SOAP (http://www.informationweek.com/news/214501922)
        >
        > Are there other references (bear in mind that I am in an academic arena and need quality references). Is there a more recent report/survey than the 2009 one above?

        Another minor data point:

        The latest version of Atlassian JIRA deprecates their SOAP API in
        deference to their REST API.
      • Jørn Wildt
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 23, 2012
          Another, perhaps more, interesting question to ask is - how many of those 290 "REST" APIs are actually REST APIs? You know, the ones with hypermedia, discoverable resources, opaque URLs, and so on. Not just HTTP RPC SOAP in disguise ...

          /Jørn

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 23, 2012
            On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Jørn Wildt <jw@...> wrote:
            Another, perhaps more, interesting question to ask is - how many of those 290 "REST" APIs are actually REST APIs? You know, the ones with hypermedia, discoverable resources, opaque URLs, and so on. Not just HTTP RPC SOAP in disguise ...

            Yup.

            The question you're not asking is whether you want to re-engineer your enterprise to the REST architecture. Does it really offer you any value.

            SOAP -> REST is not a drag and drop operation. It's a philosophical sea change in design, planning, and operations.

            How many of your interfaces are being used by external clients? What issues are you having with the SOAP toolkits that you are using now?

            Are you willing to give up the automation of the modern SOAP toolkits in order to "hand craft" the payloads simply to stuff them over hand made HTTP connection? Or are you willing to write your own tooling?

            Do you have enough client and a long enough projection of services to actually warrant re-engineering your system to the REST architecture? If after N months of rework, where you get back to "where you started", do perceived benefits warrant the N months stalling of work to reimplement already deployed and operating systems. Or what kind of impedance mis-match do you envision working in a mixed REST and SOAP world.

            All sorts of issues in converting to REST. Better to create a stand alone edge system (assuming REST is appropriate for it), perhaps, and have it integrate with the existing back end.

            Regards,

            Will Hartung
            (willh@...)

            CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic transmission may be confidential. If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the information contained in this transmission is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us by email reply and then erase it from your computer system.