Re: [rest-discuss] The "new media types are evil" meme

  • Mark Derricutt
    Message 1 of 245 , Jan 2, 2012
      I've been reading this thread whilst writing up some blog posts on the subject and was rereading the specs for "Content-Disposition", and it the spec mentions:

      disposition := "Content-Disposition" ":"
                          disposition-type
                          *(";" disposition-parm)

      disposition-type := "inline"
                        / "attachment"
                        / extension-token
                        ; values are not case-sensitive

      Looking at the extension-token specs elsewhere it would look like it'd be acceptable for us rest-nazi's to adopt something like:

      (or even rel=customer if we wanted to keep some form of consistent naming ).  This at least covers declaring the disposition / concept we're returning, and it looks like the SIP protocol proposed the Accept-Disposition header [1] and from cursory reading around this looks like this would be a valid (existing) method for defining these concept.s

      Am I wrong?

      [1] http://www.softarmor.com/wgdb/docs/draft-camarillo-sip-accept-disposition-00.txt

      --
      "Great artists are extremely selfish and arrogant things" — Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree

      On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 10:46 PM, Paul Cohen <pacoispaco@...> wrote:
      Maybe the term "conceptual type" was unfortunate. My point in the
      discussion was that it may be of interest to talk about the concepts
      and information a service is meant to provide in order to then be able
      to reason about what media types to use or invent for a given service.

    • Peter Williams
      Message 245 of 245 , Jan 12, 2012
        On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Darrel Miller <darrel.miller@...> wrote:
        > In this
        > post  http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Unifying---standardizing-X-Moz---X-Purpose-headers-p29794338.html%c2%a0Roy
        > talks about the notion of passive links in Waka.  Without putting works into
        > Roy's mouth, this is what I consider to be a LE.

        The way i read that post, message type is a way for the client to
        inform the server how it has decided to use a particular link. Not a
        way for the server to tell the client how it should use a particular
        link. Ie, it would be ok for a client to dereference a `img` tag link
        as an active request (or any other valid value, for that matter).

        Peter
        barelyenough.org