The "new media types are evil" meme

  • Mike Kelly
    Message 1 of 245 , Dec 28, 2011
      As a subscriber of this 'meme' Craig mentioned, I'll give a few of the
      reasons using a generic media type is the better option:

      - they avoid you having to reinvent the wheel (i.e. linking to and
      embedding of resources)

      - they bring existing client/server tooling that can be re-used in
      your application

      - as further tooling is developed and improved over time your
      application will benefit

      - they avoid the temptation to type resources via the media type identifier

      - they establish a ubiquitous interface against which more
      sophisticated clients/servers/intermediary mechanisms can emerge

      Is someone able to put together a similar list for the "new media
      types are awesome" meme?

      Cheers,
      Mike
    • Peter Williams
      Message 245 of 245 , Jan 12, 2012
        On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Darrel Miller <darrel.miller@...> wrote:
        > In this
        > post  http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Unifying---standardizing-X-Moz---X-Purpose-headers-p29794338.html%c2%a0Roy
        > talks about the notion of passive links in Waka.  Without putting works into
        > Roy's mouth, this is what I consider to be a LE.

        The way i read that post, message type is a way for the client to
        inform the server how it has decided to use a particular link. Not a
        way for the server to tell the client how it should use a particular
        link. Ie, it would be ok for a client to dereference a `img` tag link
        as an active request (or any other valid value, for that matter).

        Peter
        barelyenough.org