Rails 3.2 and PATCH

  • Steve Klabnik
    Message 1 of 86 , Dec 14, 2011
      Hey everyone!

      I just wanted to draw attention to the discussion here:
      https://github.com/rails/rails/pull/505

      While the pull request is originally from May, there's some discussion
      about adding support for PATCH in Rails 3.2. If you read the
      discussion, there's a lot of controversy over the semantics of PUT and
      partial updates, discussion about if and when PATCH will become more
      than a draft standard, and all kinds of fun stuff.

      I thought this discussion might be relevant to this community.

      - Steve
    • Roy T. Fielding
      Message 86 of 86 , Dec 19, 2011
        On Dec 19, 2011, at 6:05 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

        > On 2011-12-19 13:32, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
        >> Period. End of story. Hence, PATCH was defined in 1995 (and finally
        >> standardized much later because the WebDAV group was lazy).
        >
        > What exactly does this have to do with WebDAV? Do you think WebDAV should have defined PATCH?

        Yes, it was part of the original authoring task when the DAV WG was initiated.
        That's why I removed PATCH from RFC2068 (because it was supposedly going to
        be developed further by DAV and we did not want a conflicting definition).

        ....Roy