Java Frameworks That Support HATEOS

  • jason_h_erickson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2011
      I've been using Jersey (JAX-RS) which really leverages JAXB to serialize your objects into XML and JSON.  When I started this project last year, that seemed like a really good idea to me because, like many, my idea of REST was really just JSON and XML over HTTP.

      However, I haven't really used it for HATEOS.  I think later versions of Jersey support adding URI's, so maybe it's still a sufficient framework and I just haven't been using it that way.  What are others using or are people just rolling their own resources?
    • David Karr
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 23, 2011
        On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 7:57 PM, jason_h_erickson <jason@...> wrote:

        I've been using Jersey (JAX-RS) which really leverages JAXB to serialize your objects into XML and JSON.  When I started this project last year, that seemed like a really good idea to me because, like many, my idea of REST was really just JSON and XML over HTTP.

        However, I haven't really used it for HATEOS.  I think later versions of Jersey support adding URI's, so maybe it's still a sufficient framework and I just haven't been using it that way.  What are others using or are people just rolling their own resources?

        I use Apache CXF to build my REST services, but building HATEOAS principles into your services doesn't really require any additional technology support.  You can define ad hoc elements that contain pointers to other information, you don't need to define a "link" element in its own namespace (as described in REST in Practice, for instance). Generating a URL is really a trivial thing.  Designing the flow of your application is the bigger task, and neither Jersey or CXF can help you much with that.