Re: [rest-discuss] Clients & Expiration based caching

  • Mark Baker
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 3, 2011

      Python's httplib2 has decent client side caching support IME.

    • Peter Williams
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 3, 2011
        On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@...> wrote:
        >> you are using HTTPS the
        >> caching proxy approach basically falls apart completely (afaik).
        >
        > Not necessarily the case. If you setup the forward proxy as the one
        > starting TLS, then the proxy can cache. The same goes for the server
        > side too where a reverse proxy cache can terminate TLS and serve
        > cached representations.

        Are there approaches to client side tls terminating reverse proxies
        that do not require the proxy to rewrite all the URIs in the response
        representations? Such rewriting might limit proxying's usefulness to
        systems based on media types with very wide reach.

        Peter
      • Subbu Allamaraju
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 5, 2011
          On Jul 3, 2011, at 7:35 PM, Peter Williams wrote:

          > On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@...> wrote:
          >>> you are using HTTPS the
          >>> caching proxy approach basically falls apart completely (afaik).
          >>
          >> Not necessarily the case. If you setup the forward proxy as the one
          >> starting TLS, then the proxy can cache. The same goes for the server
          >> side too where a reverse proxy cache can terminate TLS and serve
          >> cached representations.
          >
          > Are there approaches to client side tls terminating reverse proxies
          > that do not require the proxy to rewrite all the URIs in the response
          > representations?

          Not to my knowledge. Links in representations (non HTML cases) are still rare in the wild.

          Subbu
        • Peter Williams
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 6, 2011
            On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@...> wrote:
            > Not to my knowledge. Links in representations (non HTML cases) are still rare in the wild.

            In my world they are very common. I see them in RDF, JSON and XML all the time.

            Peter
          • Subbu Allamaraju
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 7, 2011
              On Jul 6, 2011, at 9:37 AM, Peter Williams wrote:

              > On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@...> wrote:
              >> Not to my knowledge. Links in representations (non HTML cases) are still rare in the wild.
              >
              > In my world they are very common. I see them in RDF, JSON and XML all the time.

              Quite possible. There is a quite a bit of gap in what hypertext driven apps expect and what off-the-shelf proxies/caches can do today.

              In one of my previous projects we did build a rewriting forward proxy to forward requests over TLS to origin servers, but the use case is not related to caching. But it can certainly be done with custom-built proxies or using proxy-specific plugin APIs.

              Subbu