Re: [rest-discuss] Re: The relation of Linked Data/Semantic Web to REST

  • Nathan
    Message 1 of 40 , Jan 31, 2011
      Bob Ferris wrote:
      > Am 01.02.2011 01:12, schrieb Eric J. Bowman:
      >> Bob Ferris wrote:
      >>> What about a SPARQL endpoint that supports HTTP POST for every method
      >>> handling? So the SPARQL endpoint resource would be treated as the
      >>> "parent" resource of all resource that are stored in the triple
      >>> store.
      >>>
      >> REST has no concept of parent/child resources, particularly inferred
      >> from URIs. Such relationships are established explicitly, through
      >> linking. The problem with using POST for query submission, is that it
      >> violates the Identification of Resources constraint -- query results
      >> are resources of interest, so they need URIs.
      >
      > To speak in RFC2616 conform terms with the 'parent/child' relation I

      HTTP != REST

      > mean 'subordinate' (cf. "The posted entity is subordinate to that URI in
      > the same way that a file is subordinate to a directory containing it"

      that's been cleared up by:

      http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-12#section-7.5

      > [1]). Redirecting to a cachable result should be allowed, or?

      Yes, ironically that's what the "303 See Other" status was originally
      intended for ;)

      "This method exists primarily to allow the output of a
      POST-activated script to redirect the user agent to a selected
      resource"

      Further, it's worth noting that you can simply 200 OK in reply to a
      POST with a Content-Location containing a URI (different to the
      effective request uri) and that signifies that the representation
      included in the response is a representation of some other resource,
      identified by the URI in the Content-Location.

      Best,

      Nathan
    • Danny Ayers
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 2, 2011
        On 2 February 2011 15:40, Eric J. Bowman <eric@...> wrote:
        > Danny Ayers wrote:
        >>
        >> [oops, I meant to send this to the list, that yahoo interface is
        >> confusing!]
        >>

        > Note that you're also quoting me, not Bob...

        Oops again, sorry, it was never like this with the telegraph...

         Let's take this to a new
        > thread, shall we?

        Although I'd like to hear your opinion on how SPARQL endpoints aren't
        RESTful, I haven't really got anything to add on that aspect.

        --
        http://danny.ayers.name