Protocol hourglass

  • Paul Prescod
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2002
      Interesting talk. He says that IP is the "waist" of the Internet. Many
      protocols below it (Ethernet, ATM, PPP) many above it. But only one IP
      (well, two with IPv6). What most REST people want is to have HTTP be the
      "neck" -- the only protocol at its level. What do the IP level and the
      HTTP level have in common? Addressing. You want universal protocols at
      levels that do addressing so that any object can talk to any other
      object.

      http://www.iab.org/iab/DOCUMENTS/hourglass-london-ietf.pdf

      ---
      Come discuss XML and REST web services at:
      Open Source Conference: July 22-26, 2002,
      conferences.oreillynet.com/os2002/
      Extreme Markup: Aug 4-9, 2002, www.extrememarkup.com/extreme/
    • Seth Johnson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2002
        I think of REST as the set of principles that assure the
        end-to-end principle at the HTTP protocol level.

        Seth Johnson

        --

        [CC] Counter-copyright:
        http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cc/cc.html