Re: RE: [rest-discuss] Networked applications and service 'types'

  • algermissen1971
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2010

      On 29 Aug, 2010,at 11:54 PM, Robert Brewer <fumanchu@...> wrote:

       Types and goals are merely momentary, mutable marketing.

      Agreed.

      Nevertheless, they have an important role regarding the configuration of components when forming an application.

      When I want to search the Web, I am instructing the browser to connect to a server component by entering a URL in the location bar. When doing this, my intention is to connect to a server component that I presume will satisfy the intent I have. I am not just entering any URI. Usually I want to connect to a particular instance, but at times (as in the case of search) the presumed 'type' of the server component is more or less sufficient.

      This notion of type is the same notion of 'type' I use to organize my bookmarks. In that sense the bookmark categories in my browser constitue a set of 'server component types' . 'Type' of course meant as the presumed capability to satisfy some intent.

      I find it interesting to compare the role of 'type' when assembling applications in a RESTbased architecture with the use of the name of components when assembling a unix commandline (-application).

      Suppose you configure a commandline like this

        $ cat access.log | grep 404 > 404.log

      The choice of 'grep' is based on a 'type'-assumption connected to the name 'grep' (I have no idea which implementation of grep will actually be executed). Entering 'http://www.myshop.com' into the location bar when the intent is to purchase apples is conceptually the same binding of expectation (that component will enable purchase of apples) to name (the URI).

      Jan

      Robert Brewer
      fumanchu@...

      <*> Your email settings: