Re: [rest-discuss] The farmer in the dell

  • Bob Haugen
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 3, 2010
      Roy,

      Thanks for the responses. And I am sorry if I toyed with the kids,
      but this group often helps me think through these kinds of problems,
      even if I don't get a ready-made solution (nor do I expect one).

      >> You don't think notifications would work?  Or do you think of them as
      >> compensating transactions?
      >
      > Message (distributed) notifications or database notifications?

      Message. Maybe even an HTTP error message? Then GET the resource again.

      > They might work -- it depends on how fast the orders are being
      > processed and how reliable the delivery.  Notification-based
      > systems tend to fail spectacularly at peak times, and are
      > usually overkill during non-peak times.   *shrug*  There's a
      > good chance that you could build a good enough system for family
      > farms using nothing more than email.

      That's the way a lot of them that sell to local consumers work now.
      But they are herding into online markets, including several that I
      know and help.

      >  Yes, a single inventory
      > resource accessed by both sites should be fine as long as the
      > state changing requests are queued by the implementation.
      > The implementation of that resource could even be an atomic
      > test+decrement.

      Yup.

      Wonder if this would help?
      http://www.w3.org/1999/04/Editing/

      > But how are you going to teach the markets
      > to use such a resource?

      So far, not many markets, the people who run them often know each
      other, and might be taught to cooperate.

      But we'll see.

      > if you can make the markets use a shared resource that
      > is much easier.  If not, then it should also be possible to
      > automate a balancer even if the farmer's interface to the
      > markets is two different web pages.   You could then provide
      > the farmer with mash-up interface that treats the markets as
      > gateways.

      A reasonable fall-back. Thanks again.