Examples of websites that don't have a URL for each webpage?

  • Costello, Roger L.
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
      Hi Folks,

      I am seeking examples of websites that don't have a URL for each webpage.

      Let me illustrate: I type into my browser the URL to the website. I then see its homepage, which contains links. I click on a link and it gives me a new page, but the URL doesn't change. I continue clicking on links and the URL remains the same throughout my visit to the website.

      Can you provide an example website?

      /Roger
    • Moore, Jonathan (CIM)
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
        Lots of the Google GWT-based or otherwise AJAXified products like Gmail, Google Calendar, and Google Reader have this sort of behavior.

        Jon
        Jon Moore

        On Jan 8, 2010, at 7:59 AM, "Costello, Roger L." <costello@...> wrote:

        Hi Folks,

        I am seeking examples of websites that don't have a URL for each webpage.

        Let me illustrate: I type into my browser the URL to the website. I then see its homepage, which contains links. I click on a link and it gives me a new page, but the URL doesn't change. I continue clicking on links and the URL remains the same throughout my visit to the website.

        Can you provide an example website?

        /Roger

      • Guilherme Silveira
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
          Flex/flash based ones also, although they can play around with anchors, they usually do not create real pages: http://www.tucano.org.br/portal.html
          Everything you click is an anchor, not another web page, therefore google can not index it.

          Guilherme Silveira
          Caelum | Ensino e Inovação
          http://www.caelum.com.br/

          On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Moore, Jonathan (CIM) <jonathan_moore@...> wrote:

          Lots of the Google GWT-based or otherwise AJAXified products like Gmail, Google Calendar, and Google Reader have this sort of behavior.

          Jon
          Jon Moore

          On Jan 8, 2010, at 7:59 AM, "Costello, Roger L." <costello@...> wrote:

          Hi Folks,

          I am seeking examples of websites that don't have a URL for each webpage.

          Let me illustrate: I type into my browser the URL to the website. I then see its homepage, which contains links. I click on a link and it gives me a new page, but the URL doesn't change. I continue clicking on links and the URL remains the same throughout my visit to the website.

          Can you provide an example website?

          /Roger

        • Jeff Robertson
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
            On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Guilherme Silveira <guilherme.silveira@...> wrote:

            Flex/flash based ones also, although they can play around with anchors, they usually do not create real pages: http://www.tucano.org.br/portal.html

            Everything you click is an anchor, not another web page, therefore google can not index it.

            There are also web application where almost every page is a form that POSTs back to the same never-changing URL. Even "links" that you click actually just run javascript to submit the form.
          • Guilherme Silveira
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
              > There are also web application where almost every page is a form that POSTs
              > back to the same never-changing URL. Even "links" that you click actually
              > just run javascript to submit the form.
              Some touch of irony? :)

              Regards
            • Roger Menday
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010

                going all the way round and almost back to the start again :

                ... perhaps ?

                On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Guilherme Silveira <guilherme.silveira@ caelum.com. br> wrote:

                Flex/flash based ones also, although they can play around with anchors, they usually do not create real pages: http://www.tucano. org.br/portal. html

                Everything you click is an anchor, not another web page, therefore google can not index it.

                There are also web application where almost every page is a form that POSTs back to the same never-changing URL. Even "links" that you click actually just run javascript to submit the form.

                Roger Menday (PhD)

                Senior Researcher, Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
                Hayes Park Central, Hayes End Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 8FE, U.K.
                Tel: +44 (0) 208 606 4534

                Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
                Hayes Park Central, Hayes End Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 8FE
                Registered No. 4153469

                This e-mail and any attachments are for the sole use of addressee(s) and
                may contain information which is privileged and confidential. Unauthorised
                use or copying for disclosure is strictly prohibited. The fact that this
                e-mail has been scanned by Trendmicro Interscan and McAfee Groupshield does
                not guarantee that it has not been intercepted or amended nor that it is
                virus-free.
              • Subbu Allamaraju
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
                  On Jan 8, 2010, at 6:30 AM, Guilherme Silveira wrote:

                  >> There are also web application where almost every page is a form that POSTs
                  >> back to the same never-changing URL. Even "links" that you click actually
                  >> just run javascript to submit the form.
                  > Some touch of irony? :)

                  I am told that lots of enterprises continue to pay a hefty ransom to some of the innovative frameworks that thought it is really cool to have a single URI for an entire site.

                  Subbu
                • Mike Kelly
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
                    Roger Menday wrote:

                    > going all the way round and almost back to the start again :
                    >
                    > http://code.quirkey.com/sammy/
                    >
                    > ... perhaps ?

                    sammy.js is just a nifty way of controlling client state using html and
                    javascript.. what's wrong with that? It's code on demand

                    >> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Guilherme
                    >> Silveira <guilherme.silveira@...
                    >> <mailto:guilherme.silveira@...>> wrote:
                    >>

                    >> Flex/flash based ones also, although they can play around with
                    >> anchors, they usually do not create real
                    >> pages: http://www.tucano.org.br/portal.html
                    >> <http://www.tucano.org.br/portal.html>
                    >>
                    >> Everything you click is an anchor, not another web page,
                    >> therefore google can not index it.
                    >>

                    >> There are also web application where almost every page is a form that
                    >> POSTs back to the same never-changing URL. Even "links" that you
                    >> click actually just run javascript to submit the form.
                    >>

                    > Roger Menday (PhD)
                    > <roger.menday@... <mailto:roger.menday@...>>
                    >
                    > Senior Researcher, Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
                    > Hayes Park Central, Hayes End Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 8FE, U.K.
                    > Tel: +44 (0) 208 606 4534
                  • Roger Menday
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
                      On 8 Jan 2010, at 21:05, Mike Kelly wrote:

                      > Roger Menday wrote:
                      >>

                      >> going all the way round and almost back to the start again :
                      >>
                      >> http://code.quirkey.com/sammy/
                      >>
                      >> ... perhaps ?
                      >
                      > sammy.js is just a nifty way of controlling client state using html
                      > and javascript.. what's wrong with that?

                      i wasn't saying there was anything wrong with it - i rather like infact.

                      > It's code on demand
                      >

                      >>> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Guilherme Silveira <guilherme.silveira@...
                      >>> <mailto:guilherme.silveira@...>> wrote:
                      >>>

                      >>> Flex/flash based ones also, although they can play around with
                      >>> anchors, they usually do not create real
                      >>> pages: http://www.tucano.org.br/portal.html
                      >>> <http://www.tucano.org.br/portal.html>
                      >>>
                      >>> Everything you click is an anchor, not another web page,
                      >>> therefore google can not index it.
                      >>>

                      >>> There are also web application where almost every page is a form
                      >>> that POSTs back to the same never-changing URL. Even "links" that
                      >>> you click actually just run javascript to submit the form.
                      >>>

                      >> Roger Menday (PhD)
                      >> <roger.menday@... <mailto:roger.menday@...>>
                      >>
                      >> Senior Researcher, Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
                      >> Hayes Park Central, Hayes End Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 8FE, U.K.
                      >> Tel: +44 (0) 208 606 4534

                      Roger Menday (PhD)
                      <roger.menday@...>