Re: Architectural properties for modifiability

  • William Martinez Pomares
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
      Hello.
      Eoin Woods and Nick Rozanski book about Software Systems Architecture sort of define them as the result of stakeholder concerns that are not satisfied with a particular function. And they define "perspectives" as tool chests to help you work with those quality properties.
      Here you can see the list of quality properties they offer perspectives. http://www.viewpoints-and-perspectives.info/index.php?page=persp-intro

      But, anyway, a there is no standard list of properties. Actually, there are some of them that are mixed with other ones, for instance security concern may be to avoid DOS attacks, which is also helpful for availability. It depends on the author.

      William Martinez.

      --- In rest-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Tim Williams <williamstw@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@...> wrote:
      > > On Oct 23, 2009, at 10:28 AM, Noah Campbell wrote:
      > >
      > >> I'm looking for additional references for architectural properties
      > >> found in section 2.3.4 of Roy's paper?  I was curious how Roy came
      > >> up with his list.  I've never done a dissertation so if I'm parsing
      > >> the paper incorrectly, please let me know.
      > >
      > > There wasn't any one reference.  There are a lot of references in the
      > > references list, some of which define what I called a property.
      > > Usually these are defined in the literature as software qualities
      > > or system properties.
      > >
      > > You might want to check the new book on Software Architecture by
      > > Taylor (my dissertation committee chair), Medvidovic, and Dashovy:
      > >
      > >    http://www.softwarearchitecturebook.com/
      > >    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470167742
      > >
      > > though I don't know if they used the same terminology as my diss.
      > > I am still waiting for my free copy. ;-)
      >
      > Sadly, they did not. They essentially lump it all into "Adaptability"
      > with some discussion points that aren't of sufficient granularity to
      > evaluate in the same way that the framework in the dissertation does.
      > There is a chapter dedicated to Adaptability that discusses "Styles
      > that Support Adaptation" but they don't even mention the REST style.
      >
      > I actually liked Roy's characterization of these things as "desired
      > properties" better too. The book considers them NFP's where an NFP is
      > defined as, "a non-functional property (NFP) of a software system is a
      > constraint on the manner in which the system implements and delivers
      > its functionality." Real architectural constraints evoke these
      > properties but I'm unconvinced that the properties are, themselves,
      > constraints.
      >
      > Anyway, Roy, if you're ever near D.C., you can borrow my copy...
      >
      > --tim

    • Bill de hOra
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 15, 2009
        Off topic, but I've just finished reading this book. It's excellent.

        Bill

        Roy T. Fielding wrote:

        > On Oct 23, 2009, at 10:28 AM, Noah Campbell wrote:
        >
        > > I'm looking for additional references for architectural properties
        > > found in section 2.3.4 of Roy's paper? I was curious how Roy came
        > > up with his list. I've never done a dissertation so if I'm parsing
        > > the paper incorrectly, please let me know.
        >
        > There wasn't any one reference. There are a lot of references in the
        > references list, some of which define what I called a property.
        > Usually these are defined in the literature as software qualities
        > or system properties.
        >
        > You might want to check the new book on Software Architecture by
        > Taylor (my dissertation committee chair), Medvidovic, and Dashovy:
        >
        > http://www.softwarearchitecturebook.com/
        > <http://www.softwarearchitecturebook.com/>
        > http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470167742 <http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470167742>
        >
        > though I don't know if they used the same terminology as my diss.
        > I am still waiting for my free copy. ;-)
        >
        > ....Roy

      • Stuart Charlton
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 20, 2009
          Seconded.

          There's a whole chapter on connectors! :D

          Cheers
          Stu