Re: [rest-discuss] REST-*

  • Roy T. Fielding
    Message 1 of 97 , Sep 16, 2009
      On Sep 16, 2009, at 12:17 PM, Bill Burke wrote:
      > I hope many of you can keep an open mind with what we're trying to do.

      Bill, if you want people to have an open mind about what you are
      trying to do, then the respectful thing would be to remove REST
      from the name of your site.

      Quite frankly, this is the single dumbest attempt at one-sided
      "standardization" of anti-REST architecture that I have ever seen.
      It even manages to one-up the previous all-time-idiocy of IBM
      when they renamed their CORBA toolkit "Web Services" in a
      deliberate attempt to confuse customers into thinking they
      had something to do with the Web.

      Distributed transactions are an architectural component of
      non-REST interaction. Message queues are a common integration
      technique for non-REST architectures. To claim that either one
      is a component of "Pragmatic REST" is the equivalent of putting
      a giant Red Dunce Hat on your head and then parading around as
      if it were the latest fashion statement.

      The idea that the community would welcome such a pack of
      marketing morons as the standards-bearers of REST is simply
      ridiculous. Just close the stupid site down.

      Sincerely,

      Roy T. Fielding <http://roy.gbiv.com/>
      Chief Scientist, Day Software <http://www.day.com/>
    • Codeblogger
      Message 97 of 97 , Sep 17, 2009
        > Here I have to disagree - I don't have any idea what an "official REST
        > project" might be doing.

        Hi,

        I have to second Stefan. REST is the name for this architectural style
        and with Roy's thesis well defined. Not much left to do. We/you could
        further investigate architectures that are so to speak "RESTful"
        (follow the style) - but we cannot call them REST. Hence a "REST
        project" does not make sense.

        Regards,
        Nicolai