Re: This is REST

  • Ebenezer Ikonne
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 5, 2009
      > Yes the client must understand the media type before hand. �However
      > the significant difference is that when the client follows a link, the
      > media-type is in the header of the response. �The client knows how to
      > parse the message based only on the content of the message and its
      > prior knowledge of the media type. �In so many so called "RESTful"
      > API's that I see the client retrieves application/xml from endpoint
      > http://site.org/xyz and it must know that the application/xml at this
      > endpoint contains a specific vocabulary.
      >
      > Darrel

      I think we are in some agreement here. Now the debate for whether to use generic media-types versus specific media-types is slightly different (IMO). I believe in specific media-types, but in both cases, a priori is still required. The flexibility of the client is severely hampered when using generic media-types.

      Eb