Re: Implementing batches with pipelining

  • Aristotle Pagaltzis
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
      * Sebastien Lambla <seb@...> [2009-02-24 09:30]:
      > Third and last scenario, the client has no idea that pipelining
      > is used by the server to process several requests as a unit,
      > and still pipelines them.
      >
      > I fail to see how the client would be implacted by the decision
      > made by the server to process all those requests as a batch,
      > provided it is simply expecting individual responses "as
      > usual".

      A client that is unaware of your overloading of the meaning of
      pipelining might decide to send relatively unrelated requests in
      huge pipelined sequences, driving the asymptotic probability that
      one of them will fail and cause the entire sequence to fail
      toward 1. Such a client would then be unable to productively
      communicate with your server.

      Your call as to how much of a drawback that might be. But even if
      you decide it isn’t, why not require aware clients to send along
      a header that requests this pipeline-means-transaction semantic?
      What would it cost you?