Re: [rest-discuss] RESTful URLs?

  • Stefan Tilkov
    Message 1 of 54 , Feb 1, 2009
      On 01.02.2009, at 05:17, Ben Ramsey wrote:

      > Please forgive this intrusion from an "outsider" to this list. I've
      > followed the list for over a year now, but I've never posted, and I
      > know the subject of this message may cause some commotion, but that's
      > not my intent, so please don't mistake me for a troll. This is a
      > genuine question.
      >
      > Is the design of the URL important to the REST architectural style?

      No.

      [...]
      > By the way, I do think well-designed URLs are important. That's not
      > the
      > question I'm asking. I'm asking whether they are part of REST.

      I think your understanding is perfectly right: Well-designed URIs are
      great, but they don't influence whether something is RESTful or not.

      Using a URI like http://example.com/SomeService?methodName=launchMissiles
      to identify a customer resource may be bad URI design, and indicate
      a design smell, but it says nothing about the RESTfulness of the
      system - it's equivalent to http://example.com/1231546543213212 from a
      REST perspective.

      Stefan
      --
      Stefan Tilkov, http://www.innoq.com/blog/st/
    • mike amundsen
      Message 54 of 54 , Feb 7, 2009
        One of this things I find I often confront is the "dis-comfort" folks
        experience when they identify the "inefficiency of abstraction" that
        is the result of the loose coupling in the REST style.

        I usually address this comfort the same way I address the "premature
        optimization" issue.

        mca
        http://amundsen.com/blog/