Re: [rest-discuss] RESTful URLs?

  • Noah Slater
    Message 1 of 54 , Jan 31, 2009
      On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 11:02:59PM -0600, Hugh Winkler wrote:
      > Yep. If your URLs describe a suite of actions, with parameters in the
      > query string, then you're just building a RPC application. You're
      > defining a custom interface for making your app do things, rather than
      > sticking to the uniform interface defined by HTTP.

      I think you've thrown the baby out with the bath water.

      URIs are opaque. That means that, technically, it doesn't matter what you use at
      all. You could design the most insanely RESTful interface using only verbs for
      your URIS, or using GUIDs. I think the important piece of advice would be that
      you should strongly consider why you want to use verbs in the first place, given
      the HTTP method is already doing that for you.

    • mike amundsen
      Message 54 of 54 , Feb 7, 2009
        One of this things I find I often confront is the "dis-comfort" folks
        experience when they identify the "inefficiency of abstraction" that
        is the result of the loose coupling in the REST style.

        I usually address this comfort the same way I address the "premature
        optimization" issue.

        mca
        http://amundsen.com/blog/