More thoughts about queries

  • Paul Prescod
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2002
      I want to point out a couple of subtleties about queries.

      I think that queries are a fallback position from hypertext. As I said
      earlier, hypertext has advantages and the primary one is that it is more
      discoverable and navigable than a query (or API or messaging interface
      or...).

      I do think that queries are an important optimization. Sometimes finding
      out equivalent information through hypertext would take significant
      effort. For instance in the Google case, they have so many word indexed
      that for bandwidth reasons their hypertext "tree" would probably have to
      be something like this:

      pr
      pre
      pres
      prescod
      prescod+p
      prescod+pa
      prescod+paul

      They could of course us balancing algorithms to minimize the size of it
      but still it would take several back and forth messages to get to the
      point where we have the information available from:

      http://www.google.com/search?q=prescod+paul

      This hypertext view may be too slow for much real-world use. But on the
      other hand, the hypertext view gives the client access to all kinds of
      interesting information. For instance by spidering "prescod" I can find
      out all words associated with my name. I could pretty easily find
      GoogleWhacks that use my name. ;) I could scan for first names to find
      other Prescods. The information available in the hypertext version is a
      strict superset of the information available in the query version, but
      navigating it may be too inefficient. So I think that in many
      circumstances, both views are warranted.

      Google might also want to have the query view be a free service and the
      navigable view be something that people pay to use for data mining.

      Other opinions?

      Paul Prescod