Re: [rest-discuss] Re: GoogleAPI is Rest?

  • Mark Baker
    Message 1 of 24 , May 1, 2002
      On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 10:52:37PM +0100, Bill de hÓra wrote:
      > Maybe they're not exclusive, I'm not sure. A (network) protocol is
      > interesting insofar as it's a useful abstraction (of the network).
      > Having to think about SOAP and JMS, or SOAP and HTTP or SOAP and BEEP,
      > means I can't just think my application and SOAP,

      But that's the rub. The Web *is* your application. Or more precisely,
      to use the Web, you have to form your application in the shape of the
      Web; hypertext.

      MB
      Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA. mbaker@...
      http://www.markbaker.ca http://www.planetfred.com
    • sa3ruby
      Message 2 of 24 , May 2, 2002
        --- In rest-discuss@y..., Lucas Gonze <lucas@g...> wrote:
        > Is there anything to accomplish via a BOF at ETCON? IE,
        > a convincing agenda?

        I posted a few suggestions at
        http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1360
      • Lucas Gonze
        Message 3 of 24 , May 2, 2002
          > I submitted a description for an ETCON BOF called "Alternative Web
          > Services Architectures". I don't think that in one or two hours we can
          > make huge progress towards understanding each other but it may help to
          > hash out a few issues.
          >
          > Paul Prescod

          Care to run a BOF on any of the below? Not sure which one "Alternative
          Web Services Architectures" is...

          * "Standardization of Web Services"
          * "Implementing REST" (a tutorial)
          * "Choosing the Right Web Services Design for your
          Business."

          Question: what issues need to be covered in a tutorial?
          Strawmen suggestions:
          * gross overgeneralizations taken from The Thesis
          * something about URIs
          Is there anything to say about this?
          * semantic meaning of methods; PUT/POST/GET/DELETE
          * resource modeling
          define resource and representation
          content negotiation
          * using status codes aside from 200
          * where XML fits in
          SOAP as payload format rather than RPC packager

          - Lucas
        • Sam Ruby
          Message 4 of 24 , May 2, 2002
            Lucas Gonze wrote:

            > * using status codes aside from 200

            FYI (not to imply that you are suggesting otherwise, but I have seen others
            comment on this)

            http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP/#_Toc478383529

            - Sam Ruby
          • S. Mike Dierken
            Message 5 of 24 , May 2, 2002
              [mailed and posted: http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/cs_msg/7174%5d

              I think talking about whether REST applies to long lived conversations would
              be a great topic.
              There has been discussion about this on the REST forums, but it would be
              good to go over it again.
              As for HTTP, there is a response code of '202 Accepted' which is used to
              indicate that the request is being processed asynchronously - which leads to
              the 'five days for a response' situation. What hasn't happened is for a
              large number of people to implement a standard approach for sending that
              final response message to the sender - but there are lots of ways to do that
              (take a look at the REST discussion groups).

              Mike