"Seaparating REST Facts from Fallacies"

  • Alan Dean
    Message 1 of 59 , Nov 7, 2008
      All,

      Here is the presentation [1] that I will be giving at DDD7 [2] in two
      weeks time and then taking on the road to the UK User Community (I've
      already booked at MSR in Cambridge). Any feedback is welcome.

      Regards,
      Alan Dean

      [1] http://tinyurl.com/ddd7-rest
      [2] http://www.developerday.co.uk/
    • Bill de hOra
      Message 59 of 59 , Dec 3, 2008
        Steve Bjorg wrote:
        > On Dec 3, 2008, at 5:07 AM, Bill de hOra wrote:
        >
        >> Steve Bjorg wrote:
        >>> Yes and removing the extension would still make it a valid Atom
        >>> entry. However, the specific application that you might submit it to
        >>> would reject it, because it requires the presence of the extension,
        >>> which feels like an acceptable compromise.
        >>
        >> I wouldn't recommend that approach. It makes systems unpredictable and
        >> needlessly complicated (forced upgrades on clients or legacy switching
        >> on servers). I think you'll also find it'll be hard to allocate bugs
        >> between clients and servers - IME formats that allow retroactive
        >> mustUnderstand cause social problems more than technical ones.
        >

        > If someone were to rely on media-types to capture these constraints and
        > the application evolves, should the media-type be versioned?

        I think so - if compliant code can't process the new version, either
        version the media type (via a type param) or mint a new media type.

        Bill