Re: [rest-discuss] Different resource 'views'

  • Roy T. Fielding
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 7, 2008
      On Aug 7, 2008, at 6:17 AM, Bill de hOra wrote:
      > Roy T. Fielding wrote:
      >
      > > I don't know of any sane system that uses the query portion to
      > > distinguish format-specific resources. Everybody uses name
      > > extensions for that purpose. There is absolutely no good reason
      > > to do the above instead of
      > >
      > > /team/cubs.csv
      > > /team/cubs.json
      > >
      > > and plenty of reasons to avoid using query syntax.
      >
      > What would they be?

      1) It interferes with other uses of the query syntax (for queries);
      2) It is often controlled by a different subsystem during operations,
      in a method-specific and implementation-specific manner, which
      makes it
      harder to preserve names when the implementation evolves;
      3) It looks like a query, so some caches don't bother to cache the
      response because the hit rate is lower than non-query responses;
      4) It looks like a potentially "unsafe" resource, so some (spineless)
      spiders won't traverse it and your site will disappear from search
      engines.

      ....Roy
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 8, 2008

        > 3) It looks like a query, so some caches don't bother to cache the
        > response because the hit rate is lower than non-query responses;
        > 4) It looks like a potentially "unsafe" resource, so some (spineless)
        > spiders won't traverse it and your site will disappear from search
        > engines.
        >
        > ....Roy

        As to 3 and 4, the design pattern here is one of overriding content
        negotiation, which in my case at least is not expected to account for a
        significant percentage of requests. So, having /team/cubs cached and
        spidered properly seems sufficient, the individual variants' URIs don't
        really need caching or spidering.

        -Eric
      • Bill de hOra
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 17, 2008
          Roy T. Fielding wrote:

          > On Aug 7, 2008, at 6:17 AM, Bill de hOra wrote:
          > > Roy T. Fielding wrote:
          > >
          > > > I don't know of any sane system that uses the query portion to
          > > > distinguish format-specific resources. Everybody uses name
          > > > extensions for that purpose. There is absolutely no good reason
          > > > to do the above instead of
          > > >
          > > > /team/cubs.csv
          > > > /team/cubs.json
          > > >
          > > > and plenty of reasons to avoid using query syntax.
          > >
          > > What would they be?
          > >

          > 1) It interferes with other uses of the query syntax (for queries);
          > 2) It is often controlled by a different subsystem during operations,
          > in a method-specific and implementation-specific manner, which
          > makes it
          > harder to preserve names when the implementation evolves;
          > 3) It looks like a query, so some caches don't bother to cache the
          > response because the hit rate is lower than non-query responses;
          > 4) It looks like a potentially "unsafe" resource, so some (spineless)
          > spiders won't traverse it and your site will disappear from search
          > engines.

          Looks like friendfeed don't have a sane system.

          Bill
        • Bill de hOra
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 17, 2008
            Bill de hOra wrote:

            > Roy T. Fielding wrote:

            > > > What would they be?
            > > >

            > > 1) It interferes with other uses of the query syntax (for queries);
            > > 2) It is often controlled by a different subsystem during operations,
            > > in a method-specific and implementation-specific manner, which
            > > makes it
            > > harder to preserve names when the implementation evolves;
            > > 3) It looks like a query, so some caches don't bother to cache the
            > > response because the hit rate is lower than non-query responses;
            > > 4) It looks like a potentially "unsafe" resource, so some (spineless)
            > > spiders won't traverse it and your site will disappear from search
            > > engines.
            >
            > Looks like friendfeed don't have a sane system.

            Or Yahoo pipes. I suspect this has to with UAs in general not doing
            conneg very well.

            Bill