Re: [rest-discuss] Understanding hypermedia as the engine of application state

  • dev
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 13, 2008
      Hey
      In the same post, Dr. Fielding says
      "
      it makes sense to compare REST to the
      blackboard style (they do have a lot in common, as styles go).
      "
      And the thesis says :

      "the blackboard architectural style consists of a central repository
      and a set of components (knowledge sources) that operate
      opportunistically upon the repository"

      I am just curious as to how blackboard and REST have a lot in common.
      In a REST style, where is this central repository? Other than the fact
      that REST could also be said to consist of a set of components (which
      is also there in pipe and filter ), where is this central repository
      needed to compare REST to a blackboard style ?

      Regards
      dev
    • Roy T. Fielding
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 13, 2008
        On Apr 13, 2008, at 11:56 AM, dev wrote:
        > Hey
        > In the same post, Dr. Fielding says
        > "
        > it makes sense to compare REST to the
        > blackboard style (they do have a lot in common, as styles go).
        > "
        > And the thesis says :
        >
        > "the blackboard architectural style consists of a central repository
        > and a set of components (knowledge sources) that operate
        > opportunistically upon the repository"
        >
        > I am just curious as to how blackboard and REST have a lot in common.
        > In a REST style, where is this central repository? Other than the fact
        > that REST could also be said to consist of a set of components (which
        > is also there in pipe and filter ), where is this central repository
        > needed to compare REST to a blackboard style ?

        I said they had a lot in common, not everything in common.
        It mostly has to do with the uniform interface.

        ....Roy