Re: Comments Welcome

  • bhaugen32
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 18, 2002
      Paul, it's wonderful!
      Great argument, lots of convincing detail.

      Suggestion for improvement:
      If you could put something really short illustrating the difference
      right after this paragraph, the attention-deficit reader (vast
      majority) would not need to wade through so much before getting the
      main point:

      "This article will demonstrate that the choice to use SOAP was
      a poor one. The much simpler HTTP URI technique was easier to
      use and more powerful at the same time. I will recast the new
      Google API back into a URI and HTTP-based API and demonstrate
      the virtues of the simpler HTTP strategy."

      <Put the main contrast here>
      Google SOAP:
      Google HTTP:
    • Chris Croome
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 24, 2002
        Hi Paul

        Great article :-)

        On Thu 18-Apr-2002 at 02:29:02AM -0700, Paul Prescod wrote:

        > I hereby christen the purified language GoogleML. I've written an XSLT
        > stylesheet that I call "pureGoogle.xsl" which translates GoogleSOAP
        > into GoogleML. The resulting documents are much smaller, simpler and
        > easier to read.

        Have you considered RSS 1.0 [1] for this rather than / in addition to
        'GoogleML'? The things that can't be done with RSS 1.0 could be added
        to RSS with a Google RSS module.

        The advantage of not inventing a new language is that there are lots of
        tools out there for processing RSS and it's perhaps the widest used XML
        variety after XHTML and as result developers who are familiar with RSS
        might 'get it' (advantages of REST) quicker?

        Using RSS as a format for returning search engine results has been
        suggested before and was mentioned in an article on xml.com almost two
        years ago [2].

        Chris

        [1] http://pulr.org/rss/1.0/

        [2] http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/07/05/deviant/rss.html