RE: [rest-discuss] SOAP 1.2 and REST

  • Henrik Frystyk Nielsen
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2008
      Pavan,

      The part you are thinking of is in the optional HTTP binding in part 2, however, it is really more a guidance for how to *use* SOAP than of SOAP itself. The reason is that SOAP doesn't define an app model; it only defines an extensible messaging model that can be used in any number of ways. This is one of the reasons why it is often being used in contexts that are absolutely not Web friendly.

      However, it is possible to build REST/Web friendly app models that include SOAP. As an example you may want to have a look at Microsoft Robotics Studio [1] which uses a SOAP-based protocol that we call DSSP [2]. As the name suggests, we like robots but the model actually applies much broader (see for example [3]).

      Hope this helps,

      Henrik

      [1] http://microsoft.com/robotics
      [2] http://purl.org/msrs/dssp.pdf