RE: [rest-discuss] RESTful design for Articles & Tags?

  • Mike Schinkel
    Message 1 of 99 , Jan 4, 2008
      David Sidlinger wrote:
      > > The mere fact that JSON has proliferated gives credence to my
      > > assertion that XML is too hard for many people to consume
      > either from a cost, time, or learning perspective.
      >
      > That's a pretty big leap. The (perceived) lower barrier to
      > entry is only one of many factors in the spread of JSON. The
      > same-domain limitation of XHR and the ability to "eval" JSON
      > from other domains is mentioned frequently, for example.

      Actually, I would incorporate the facts of same-domain limitation of XHR and
      the ability to "eval" JSON from other domains as part of (what you identify
      as only a perceived) lower barrier to entry. IOW, I believe all aspects that
      make JSON more appealing is certain contexts have contributed its
      proliferation, not just one or a few; you couldn't even isolate those
      factors if you tried.

      Also, many say "perception is reality" and I think that is nowhere more true
      than when a perception effects a choice. In this case if people are adopting
      JSON because of a perceived lower barrier to entry then that perception in
      affect becomes fact, at least for them.

      > I say this as someone that has an appreciation for both JSON
      > and XML and wishes that their proponents weren't quite so fanatical.

      Sorry for appearing zealous on JSON. I'd argue for XML to someone who says
      that JSON is all that is ever needed (though I doubt I'd ever argue for XSLT
      these days.) It's just I hadn't found anyone here arguing for JSON's
      superiority, but have had people here argue that JSON is not valuable
      because of XML (or at least that was how I interpretted it.)

      > META: This discussion has almost nothing to do with the original
      > thread or REST in general. And I just added yet another message.
      > Whoops.

      Well there we go again... :)

      --
      -Mike Schinkel
      http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/
      Message 99 of 99 , Jan 5, 2008
        Alexander Johannesen wrote
        > Unless you have some special meaning with "broad", PHP4
        > indeed has good support for XML. In all my years my XML
        > parsers have never found an ISP or server where this was a problem.

        *Techinically* you are correct and thus my comments could be construed as
        being misleading, but I'll still argue my premise that the XML support in
        PHP4 is not all that usable or productive by quoting an article about PHP5's

        XML support compared to the XML support of PHP 4:

        FROM: http://www.devshed.com/c/a/PHP/Whats-New-in-PHP-5/

        "PHP 5 by default installs XML support and offers a new extension,
        SimpleXML. ... The XML functionality that has been available through PHP in
        the past has been quite rudimentary and required a fair amount of
        programming work to use, so it is not uncommon to see PHP 4 applications
        using XML without ever touching the xml functions.... PHP 5 also offers a
        replacement extension for DOMXL (available in "experimental" form in PHP 4)
        with the DOM extension. ... Both of the extensions are robust and well
        thought out, and whichever suits your programming needs and taste, you will
        be using a powerful extension that is light years beyond what was available
        in PHP 4."

        FWIW, YMMV.