7634Re: [rest-discuss] Atom, 'process-this'-POST and rockets

  • Joe Gregorio
    Jan 17, 2007
      On 1/9/07, Nic James Ferrier <nferrier@...> wrote:

      > I think Elliotte is correct that we could fix the problem by getting
      > the proxy makers to change their proxies.
      >
      > However, how long would it take to fix the problem. The big
      > organization that I was referring to had (amongst others) a Novell
      > Netware proxy server. It was at least 10 years old.
      >
      > I recently made a trip to a medium sized company who were still using
      > Microsoft Proxy Server 1.0. I don't even want to think about how old
      > that is.

      As long as we are being brutally honest about how things work
      in *the real world*, I'll just point out that if some VP
      discovered that he couldn't edit his blog from his shiny new Nokia phone
      because the proxy server blocked PUT requests, then that proxy would
      get changed so fast it would make your eyes bleed.

      To put this in perspective we're talking about a configuration
      option on an HTTP proxy/firewall in a company that 11 years
      ago was probably running SNA over token ring. To pretend that
      things will stay the same as they are today is, at best, delusional.

      -joe

      --
      Joe Gregorio http://bitworking.org
    • Show all 70 messages in this topic