5837Re: [rest-discuss] RESTful representation of nouns?

  • Dimitri Glazkov
    Apr 5, 2006
      On 4/5/06, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar <drernie@...> wrote:
      > http://myhost.com/convert?format=pdf&uri=http//example.com/
      > get_it_here.html
      >
      > So, if I read Roy correctly, the service described by that URL is --
      > or at least could be -- RESTful. Does this mean that the belief "URLs
      > must represent nouns" is a complete myth? Or is there something else
      > going on here?

      IMHO, It _is_ a noun. I think you're being misled that "convert"
      somehow makes the URL less valid than "/mydocument.html/pdf", proposed
      by Bill. What does an English word have to do with the RESTfulness of
      a resource? If I replace "convert" with its equvalent in Klingon,
      will that satisfy the REST gods? Yes, perhaps you could split hairs
      and not have URL contain something as "verby"-sounding as "convert",
      but as long as this URL returns a stateless representation of a
      resource (which it does), it's hunky-dory with REST, AFAIK. In fact,
      this is a classic proxy layer with a twist -- it also converts
      representation.

      Disagree? Fire away :)

      :DG<
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic