5835Re: [rest-discuss] RESTful representation of nouns?

  • Dr. Ernie Prabhakar
    Apr 5, 2006
      Thanks, Nic, Roy. The fog is clearing slightly. :-) The key issue
      appears to be:

      On Apr 5, 2006, at 4:26 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
      > OTOH, a translation service like
      >
      > /convert?format=pdf
      >
      > can simply be a POST of file-upload with the response being the
      > converted representation.
      >
      >> However, that doesn't seem very RESTful.
      >
      > Why? POST is RESTful too, when it is used correctly.

      This is what confuses me. My (naive) understanding is that every URI
      represents a noun, that is, a resource. The URL:

      http://myhost.com/convert

      seems like it represents a verb, especially when given parameters:

      http://myhost.com/convert?format=pdf

      or even when given other nouns:

      http://myhost.com/convert?format=pdf&uri=http//example.com/
      get_it_here.html

      So, if I read Roy correctly, the service described by that URL is --
      or at least could be -- RESTful. Does this mean that the belief "URLs
      must represent nouns" is a complete myth? Or is there something else
      going on here?

      -- Ernie P.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic