5041Re: [rest-discuss] The role of queries in REST?

  • Dave Pawson
    May 10, 2005
      On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 22:43 +0200, Jan Algermissen wrote:

      > > My intent is that clients can utilize this hierarchical model to
      > > construct resource identifiers -
      >
      > REST does not 'allow' any kind of identifier construction (IMHO).
      >
      > > a client can retrieve any resource in this hierarchy by simply
      > > creating an XPath expression to the desired resource. For example, to
      > > retrieve BB06 in Plan2 the client would construct this identifier:
      > >
      > > http://[hostname]/mission/plan2/aircraft/BB06
      > > <http://%5Bhostname%5D/mission/plan2/aircraft/BB06>
      >
      > That would mean that there is some kind of semantic alignment of the
      > hierarchy relationship expressed in the example
      > representation (the semantics being defined in its MIME type) and the
      > (assumed?) hierarchy of path's in URIs.
      > I doubt that this can be derived from REST. What do others think?

      It seemed to me a fairly clear solution to the problem that Roger posed.
      Especially since he painted a clear hierarchy of resource information.

      > > Has this Web site exposed too much of its model? Have I exposed too
      > > much of the rules for constructing resource identifiers? Will clients
      > > become dangerously coupled?
      >
      > Definitely. Think about how persistent the constructed URIs is, given
      > that it has not been uttered by the server but constructed
      > by the client. If the server changes the hierarchy, the URI becomes sort
      > of meaningless or wrong.

      Could I redefine that as 'the model has changed'? Implied temporal
      coupling yes, but change happens.

      That restricts the query response to some (indeterminate) timeframe,
      during which we rely on the host not to change the structure of the
      website. Seems realistic to me.

      regards DaveP
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic