5026Re: [rest-discuss] The role of queries in REST?

  • Dave Pawson
    May 7 6:25 AM
      On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 16:14 -0400, Roger L. Costello wrote:
      > Hi Folks,
      >
      > My question is with regards to the role of a Web site in supporting
      > queries. Let me give an example to demonstrate what I mean.
      >
      > Suppose that a Web site implements this "hierarchical model of
      > resources" for a bombing mission:
      >
      > Mission
      > Plan1
      > Plan2
      > Aircraft
      > AA36
      > BB06
      > Payload
      > Bomb1
      > Bomb2
      > Fuze5

      That said, I understand the desire to enable a user to query to a Web
      site for information such as "what aircraft carry Bomb1?".
      > That's not a particularly satisfying solution. Perhaps there a way to
      > rephrase the question so that it involves an exchange of resources,
      > rather than a query exchange?
      >
      > I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this issue.

      *An* approach Roger.
      Perhaps just a variant view of a query?
      The url is 'missing' some bits.

      /mission/*/X/Payload/Bomb1

      The question is, what is X?

      I know I can capture the url sought from the get,
      so perhaps I can return a list of url's for which X is valid?

      regards DaveP
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic