4551Re: REST for P2P application?

  • rfugger
    Oct 6, 2004
      Thanks for the input Bryan. I think I will be going with non-resolvable URIs (ie, URNs) to separate resource identity from resource location, as location is such a sticky thing to pin down in my case.

      --- In rest-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "thompsonbry" <thompsonbry@s...> wrote:

      > REST != HTTP. HTTP provides a protocol that can be used REST-fully
      > in many ways, but it can also be used non-REST-fully. I don't know
      > the Jabber protocol, but you may be able to use that REST-fully also.

      Yes, I'm starting to realize this. I've been doing some reading on BEEP/APEX, which seems more appropriate than Jabber for this kind of thing.

      > I find it interesting that you are distributing transactions. I had
      > been thinking of transactions as local to a peer and not materializing
      > on other peers until they were committed (so only a client could hold
      > a URI for any object within the transaction).

      That's just the way it works out for my application. I'm trying to do something very specific, not create a general framework.

      Thanks for the comments. I feel confident I'm on the right path.

      Ryan
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic