4417Re-using information fields for queries in REST

  • dorchard100
    Jun 1, 2004
      Hey all,

      I was wondering about the best way to RESTfully model information
      retrievals versus queries in REST. Imagine an Artist structure with
      name, genre, albums, rating, etc. I want to both search for Artists
      that approximate the name or albums, or exactly match a genre or
      rating. As well, I want to retrieve a given Artist's information.

      The retrieval is easy, with something like GET /Artist?
      name=thieverycorp retrieving the structure.

      But then if want to do a search, I was thinking the best rest way of
      modeling is to make a Query structure that contains all the Artist
      queryable information, maybe it's even the same type, and then have
      an ArtistList resource. Then I could say that any of the ArtistQuery
      fields can be put in the URI, ie
      GET /ArtistList?name=thieverycorp or GET /ArtistList?albums=blue.

      I can't see a way of using the same URI base for both retrievals and
      queries without doing some funky parameters in the URI. There's a
      variety of other techniques, like appending the requested return type
      (GET /Artist?name=thieverycorp&type=ArtistList), the number of
      results to return (GET /Artist?name=thieverycorp&rows=1), etc. but
      they all seem a bit .... goofy.

      Any help on the best way to model this would be appreciated. I'm
      pretty sure this is almost an FAQ kind of question, so even a pointer
      would be great.

      Thanks,
      Dave Orchard
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic